135 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Denmark
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
rolandjitsu says

I’m sorry for asking but what is Bargain Basement ?

747 posts kontramax.com
  • Community Superstar
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Beta Tester
+11 more
Kontramax says

Recently, the first time my file was in this bargain and I was very pleasantly surprised by the earnings for this BB, so I will miss him… :crying:

But no, I am wrong – my file was in envato bundle, this is not the same with bargain basement, right? so I don’t miss BB :sunglasses:

2086 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

- Who’s Z?
- Z is dead, baby… Z is dead…

:D:P

2 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Umbra says

Every once in a while Envato stuff picks god files that don’t have that many sales and puts them in selection (BB) with reduces price that will hopefully get more sales.

Here is their explanation: “Sometimes great files, for whatever reason, get overlooked by buyers. Files in the hidden gems collection will have their prices drastically reduced and will be featured on the homepage which we hope will give them new life on the site!”

But you don’t have to worry about that any more :).
Umbra
135 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Denmark
rolandjitsu says

- Who’s Z?
- Z is dead, baby… Z is dead…

:D:P

:D Yeah, that’s what I heard :)

296 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
CodeFusion says

I think you’ve been bitten by the Google bug – irrationalization! Those clowns are doing off the wall stuff as well!

You did an in-depth analysis – coming to the conclusion that it is not being utilized – fair enough. You naturally have two options. Remove it, or spin it and make it profitable.

Beings as a number of posters here are asking what is BB, my suggestion would be better marketing!

Your biggest pitfall to the Bargain Basement is the name itself. I tend to think of items in the BB as “garage/yard/rummage sale” items. Crap nobody else wants, second rate, low class, not worth normal market prices. Call it a stigma. And beings as the BB is “hidden”, I think Envato also thinks it’s a stigma. I don’t mean disrespect to anyone whose items are in there, or purchased items from there. I’ve got an item or two I could toss in there as well – as I’m about to remove them from the MP anyways.

Give the BB a more positive name, apply minimal marketing (ie: stop hiding it and treating it as a stigma) – everyone comes out ahead.

I don’t understand why reviewers are needed in the process. If the item is already active, why does it need to be reviewed again? Obviously authors want to make every penny they can for their work, so I imagine, it’s with sorrow, that an author places the item in the bin. You could easily build an algorithm that will accept/reject BB items based on a ratio of longevity and sales; but instead, the dev team is beating the crap out of the market place style sheets – more proof of the Google Bug!

c’est la vie

p.s. Does this mean the review times will speed up for new marketplace items beings as the reviewers have less workload? Just curious.

135 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Denmark
rolandjitsu says

Every once in a while Envato stuff picks god files that don’t have that many sales and puts them in selection (BB) with reduces price that will hopefully get more sales.

Here is their explanation: “Sometimes great files, for whatever reason, get overlooked by buyers. Files in the hidden gems collection will have their prices drastically reduced and will be featured on the homepage which we hope will give them new life on the site!”

But you don’t have to worry about that any more :).
Umbra

Thank you :)

176 posts The Joomla Guy
  • Won a Competition
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
hogash says

I’m sure you guys did the right thing!

I’d like to recommend you though a discout/voucher/coupon system for us authors that we can promote our themes or something like customer loyalty system. I think this would be great and i’d be glad to lower down from my personal commission’s amount.

5388 posts
  • Australia
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
Australia says

@codefusion , hear hear well said.

322 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+5 more
JoshuaSprague Staff says

I’m sure you guys did the right thing! I’d like to recommend you though a discout/voucher/coupon system for us authors that we can promote our themes or something like customer loyalty system. I think this would be great and i’d be glad to lower down from my personal commission’s amount.
I like this idea! Keep em coming :)
by
by
by
by
by
by