http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Yp2L6c2KM
332 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

Perhaps the issue is how well trafficked the bargain basement is and may be a good thing for some authors. For some reason, and perhaps the staff can look into this, I never remember to take a peek there on a regular basis. However, the one time it occurred for me to check recently, I did make a purchase.

Maybe it should only be temporarily closed while you figure it out or even remain open before a final decision is made.

There is a reason why it’s not performing the way you expect. Figure out what it is.

11 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
osasp says

I think you’ve been bitten by the Google bug – irrationalization! Those clowns are doing off the wall stuff as well!

You did an in-depth analysis – coming to the conclusion that it is not being utilized – fair enough. You naturally have two options. Remove it, or spin it and make it profitable.

Beings as a number of posters here are asking what is BB, my suggestion would be better marketing!

Your biggest pitfall to the Bargain Basement is the name itself. I tend to think of items in the BB as “garage/yard/rummage sale” items. Crap nobody else wants, second rate, low class, not worth normal market prices. Call it a stigma. And beings as the BB is “hidden”, I think Envato also thinks it’s a stigma. I don’t mean disrespect to anyone whose items are in there, or purchased items from there. I’ve got an item or two I could toss in there as well – as I’m about to remove them from the MP anyways.

Give the BB a more positive name, apply minimal marketing (ie: stop hiding it and treating it as a stigma) – everyone comes out ahead.

I don’t understand why reviewers are needed in the process. If the item is already active, why does it need to be reviewed again? Obviously authors want to make every penny they can for their work, so I imagine, it’s with sorrow, that an author places the item in the bin. You could easily build an algorithm that will accept/reject BB items based on a ratio of longevity and sales; but instead, the dev team is beating the crap out of the market place style sheets – more proof of the Google Bug!

c’est la vie

p.s. Does this mean the review times will speed up for new marketplace items beings as the reviewers have less workload? Just curious.

^^ now that, is logic

220 posts Live Creative!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
BrownHouseMedia says

Maybe you should look for a way to boost sales on the best selling products. There is a reason why the top releases are front page on itunes and top selling products are on end caps and eye level in stores. It is easier to sell something that is already selling well than try to sell something no one wants.

Maybe more energy should be put into selling popular items.

92 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
CanCars says

Bad idea…I think its a great way for buyers to get to know others work without gambling a lot of money, I bought an item on there and ended up really digging the guys work, now I follow him and have no probs paying full price..atleast I know what Im getting!

bummer

296 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
CodeFusion says

Maybe you should look for a way to boost sales on the best selling products. There is a reason why the top releases are front page on itunes and top selling products are on end caps and eye level in stores. It is easier to sell something that is already selling well than try to sell something no one wants. Maybe more energy should be put into selling popular items.

I have to respectively disagree. (Are you a politician? lol) This type of marketing is what keeps the big guys big, and the little guys little and end users pissed off. Typically, the little guys are usually better than the big guys because they value every single sale and will go the extra mile to make customers happy – when the big guys usually “back shelve you” because they know they have more customers on the way – to replace the dissatisfied customers. In the real world, My company is one of the big guys (with the little guy attitude). Here on Envato, I’m one of the little guys (with the little guy attitude). So I can speak evenly from both sides of the fence.

Personally, when I have an item that is not selling so well, I put more into marketing it, than I do an item that is already selling well. Why waste time/money on something that is working itself, when there are other items that are near death.

@Envato
Envato has almost 1.6 million members and it seems only a “dozen” of us were aware of the BB. Perhaps its “effectiveness” was reduced by the fact that no one knows what it is, or it’s poorly chosen name? So, it would be a breeze to spin this stigma into a profitable feature. Its not like 1.6M users would be like “Oh that’s the BB renamed.” But instead, they’d be like “Oh! hey, check this out, a new feature ‘Special Spotlight’ ” or whatever.

220 posts Live Creative!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
BrownHouseMedia says

I have to respectively disagree. (Are you a politician? lol) This type of marketing is what keeps the big guys big, and the little guys little and end users pissed off. Typically, the little guys are usually better than the big guys because they value every single sale and will go the extra mile to make customers happy – when the big guys usually “back shelve you” because they know they have more customers on the way – to replace the dissatisfied customers. In the real world, My company is one of the big guys (with the little guy attitude). Here on Envato, I’m one of the little guys (with the little guy attitude). So I can speak evenly from both sides of the fence.

No – promoting popular products is the kind of thinking that makes little guys big. Being big or small and having satisfied customers have nothing to do with each other. There are some big companies with amazing customer service and small companies with lousy service. Honestly Tim McMorris and Soundroll should be all over the frontpage because they have great product that customers obviously want.

296 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
CodeFusion says

Honestly Tim McMorris and Soundroll should be all over the frontpage because they have great product that customers obviously want.

Use their sought after products as leverage to help everyone get exposure. A buyer comes to the MP to get the latest item by XXX , but (is forced to acknowledge) other “interesting items” (by little guys) along their way to their target. This is what makes little guys go big. Use the big guys as attraction, but push the little guys once you have the users attention.

Putting the big guys up front is what makes the “middle man” the most money. The middle man really don’t care who or what is selling, as long as profit is churning. Meanwhile, the little guys are discouraged because they big guys get all the exposure, so the little guys says F-it. So then the middle man is left banking on the big guys alone. As soon as the big guys “coolness” is gone, everyone is broke trying to come up the next best scam/marketing ploy.

If the middle man balances, or slightly favors the little guy, the little guys get big, and the big guys stay big. There is no “oh shit what happened” when the big guys “coolness” wears off because as they are phasing out, the little guys have picked up the slack and turned big. Thus the life cycle continues – healthily.

The only exception to this is when a little guy “gets lucky” and has a product that launches them to stardom.

Its a bridge between microeconomics and macroeconomics.

681 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ZtarrZound says

Honestly Tim McMorris and Soundroll should be all over the frontpage because they have great product that customers obviously want.

Use their sought after products as leverage to help everyone get exposure. A buyer comes to the MP to get the latest item by XXX , but (is forced to acknowledge) other “interesting items” (by little guys) along their way to their target. This is what makes little guys go big. Use the big guys as attraction, but push the little guys once you have the users attention.

Putting the big guys up front is what makes the “middle man” the most money. The middle man really don’t care who or what is selling, as long as profit is churning. Meanwhile, the little guys are discouraged because they big guys get all the exposure, so the little guys says F-it. So then the middle man is left banking on the big guys alone. As soon as the big guys “coolness” is gone, everyone is broke trying to come up the next best scam/marketing ploy.

If the middle man balances, or slightly favors the little guy, the little guys get big, and the big guys stay big. There is no “oh shit what happened” when the big guys “coolness” wears off because as they are phasing out, the little guys have picked up the slack and turned big. Thus the life cycle continues – healthily.

The only exception to this is when a little guy “gets lucky” and has a product that launches them to stardom.

Its a bridge between microeconomics and macroeconomics.

I think I have a new crush….

oh yeah and +1

2206 posts
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+5 more
Nitro_Themes says

CodeFusion

Man you should be in marketing, hehe anyway well said about the big and little guy, it is so true and not just on the market places but this goes for pretty much anything. The problem is that the little guy does not have a big impressive enough portfolio so the buyer goes to the big guy with a big portfolio and he thinks that he gets a bigger band for his buck then getting something from the little guy but a lot of times buyers get pissed because the big guy does not answer emails because he is too busy and maybe he does not care as long as the sales are up. The sad thing is that the little guy would have probably taken the extra step to help out the buyer. I think the bargain basement is useless if you cannot find it. Here is a joke since the bargain basement is done i think the next thing is gonna be Activeden cus Apple killed flash and as long as these clowns from apple don’t change their mind about flash i think activeden is going to become the bargain basement pretty soon. Everything is revolved around politics, it does not matter if it’s the government or businesses but that’s how it goes and the simple reason is because money talks and bullshit walks, the end result being the money and we all need money as evil as it is but we cannot live without it. Cheers

Lester

by
by
by
by
by
by