3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Indonesia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
UXprinting says

I think ENVATO need an application like “EBAY turbo lister”. I also think that author need an application to conduct market research on envato MP such as keywords that are often used by envato’s visitors and where they came from. so it will be useful for the design theme.

296 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CodeFusion says

I think ENVATO need an application like “EBAY turbo lister”. I also think that author need an application to conduct market research on envato MP such as keywords that are often used by envato’s visitors and where they came from. so it will be useful for the design theme.
http://analytics.envato.com/Default.aspx

... And your assuming that all of these buyers are going to come back on a regular basis. ...
When it comes to business and buyers, the only thing I assume when they walk through the door is that they’re here to use the restroom and nothing more. I must make every effort of this opportunity to turn them into a loyal customer.

@CodeFusion ... And I don’t know why you think Envato wouldn’t benefit from promoting top sellers, because that’s kind of just common sense.
Whoa Nelly! I didn’t say nor imply that. In fact, I encourage the use of top sellers as leverage – I just don’t think its a good business strategy to put a tight focus on things that are already selling themselves.

... Also, what’s all that business about “the market shifting overnight”? This isn’t the financial stock market :P
Maybe I choose a bad phrase; maybe I should have said “current trend” but none the less, it still stands – for example: Responsive themes on TF – figuratively they popped up overnight – and are now big ticket items.

I’m not a marketing guru, nor a marketing expert – I’m simply a code monkey (web developer). I went to school for psychology and sociology, but also studied micro and macroeconomics. So while I may not be an expert on marketing, I do know the human mind and economics – not that I’m always correct, or use them to the best of my ability.

I think Envato should spend more time getting the (internal) “Search” engine upgraded than worrying about the effectiveness of a feature nobody can find. If the BB where to be severed from the MP to make room/time for something better, I’d be happy to see the BB go. But to simply detract something from the MP because of the lack of marketing just seems silly. You know what they say about opinions though ;)

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

^ I come from a retail store background where mechandising was big. So it’s a good discussion to hear different opinions from people with different backgrounds. Also, sorry if I misquoted you.

I liked the bargain basement but don’t really feel that strongly about the need to keep it around. But I definately find it a bit odd that the first thing buyers see when they enter the marketplace are 4 files that may or may not be quality sellers. Don’t get me wrong, I love the featured file program. Just think popular files should get that home page real estate instead. And featured files should probably just be added/combined with the featured author block below.

201 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

I’ll be adding my two cents. Well, I think the bargain basement can be double edged blade. Think about it, being cheap will only give buyers the perception that our work is cheap and not worth!

38 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
cardeo says

I like this idea

Hi Josh, just brainstorming out loud here, maybe in the future, authors could have a similar option in their profiles, just like the featured item, but where one item from the portfolio is chosen to be displayed as a special offer. This item would automatically go for half the price (or any lower percentage). While running the risk of polluting the author profile with an additional box, you could remove the featured item box, or even have the option where the author chooses which box to have showcased. Anyway, just a quick on-topic thought. Cheers.
2 posts
lizzabella says

I think you’ve been bitten by the Google bug – irrationalization! Those clowns are doing off the wall stuff as well!

You did an in-depth analysis – coming to the conclusion that it is not being utilized – fair enough. You naturally have two options. Remove it, or spin it and make it profitable.

Beings as a number of posters here are asking what is BB, my suggestion would be better marketing!

Your biggest pitfall to the Bargain Basement is the name itself. I tend to think of items in the BB as “garage/yard/rummage sale” items. Crap nobody else wants, second rate, low class, not worth normal market prices. Call it a stigma. And beings as the BB is “hidden”, I think Envato also thinks it’s a stigma. I don’t mean disrespect to anyone whose items are in there, or purchased items from there. I’ve got an item or two I could toss in there as well – as I’m about to remove them from the MP anyways.

Give the BB a more positive name, apply minimal marketing (ie: stop hiding it and treating it as a stigma) – everyone comes out ahead.

I don’t understand why reviewers are needed in the process. If the item is already active, why does it need to be reviewed again? Obviously authors want to make every penny they can for their work, so I imagine, it’s with sorrow, that an author places the item in the bin. You could easily build an algorithm that will accept/reject BB items based on a ratio of longevity and sales; but instead, the dev team is beating the crap out of the market place style sheets – more proof of the Google Bug!

c’est la vie

p.s. Does this mean the review times will speed up for new marketplace items beings as the reviewers have less workload? Just curious.

I have to agree with this. The problem is that people didn’t know what or where BB was. I would give it a refreshed name and market it better, try again and you may be pleased with the results.

92 posts
  • Exclusive Author
CanCars says

I love getting a deal but I have to agree, the name was not the most appropriate and it was very hidden…it also went on too long..a month? weekly would have been plenty. The bundle pak was great…but whats that, once a year?

I thought getting a quality theme at half price is/was a great way to bring in relunctant first time buyers to WP. Cause once ya buy one….yer hooked! :D

2 posts
lizzabella says

I love getting a deal but I have to agree, the name was not the most appropriate and it was very hidden…it also went on too long..a month? weekly would have been plenty. The bundle pak was great…but whats that, once a year? I thought getting a quality theme at half price is/was a great way to bring in relunctant first time buyers to WP. Cause once ya buy one….yer hooked! :D

I agree with this as well! Once I purchased a BB template from a designer, I found out how much I really liked their work compared to other templates. I LOVE the bundle pack, but am also disappointed that it only comes out once a year or so. I think there must be a more creative way to market featured items, while conveying they are of great quality and worth the hard work.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+5 more
CodingJack says

^ There’s a bundle every couple of months on the marketplaces. And ThemeForest items are included in these bundles 2-3 times a year. Also, everyone “loves” getting $500 worth of items for $20 :D

Bargain Basement was a nice idea for giving great items that didn’t sell for whatever reason a little extra exposure. And that was a big part of that program. Not to just give buyers more discounts.

3 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
myrddinwylt says

I feel strongly that coders here don’t get the value back out of their product unless they sell several hundred/thousand due to all the extra steps required for documentation, pretty marketing images, and of course coding + coding examples.

So for example, a developer pops a product up for, I dunno $2. If the author sells exclusive, they only get $1 of that. With no marketplace BB, and limited exposure, now the developer is pretty much forced to go non-exclusive which means Envato will eat up 75 , leaving the developer with a lowly $0.50 (cents). Keep in mind that receiving payments via PayPal (as an example) costs 2.9 + $0.30, which on that transaction, the user would receive a whopping $0.18 (cents).

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing ?

by
by
by
by
by
by