951 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Daan says
But its definitely stealing sales from you and me with simple css coding. I don’t think its fair.

I think that’s the most rubbish argument ever, as Jarel said, most people already have in mind what they’re looking for, so they’ll probably just look over yours if it isn’t what they want>
If they, though, are looking for something in your item’s category, they will probably buy the theme they like most, if it’s yours, lucky you, if it’s not, it’s not as if the other theme is stealing sales. If you then create really outstanding themes, they’ll sell automatically (look at Kriesi’s Twicet, or Epicera’s Atlantica), they stand out because of their great quality, and are bought just for that, which isn’t going to happen if a theme is ‘too simple’ afterall, as there just won’t be that much people willing to buy it, so the ‘stolen’ sales will actually be a small amount, and if you create a great quality theme, people will buy it anyways, so the ‘stolen’ sales wont actually be noticed.

1388 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

It might be true for usual times but not during the time it spends on the homepage

1) First of all, if it wasn’t accepted, your item would stay longer on the homepage

2) Most visitors buy a single item and dissappear. They see the theme, think its ok, and buy it. They probably didnt search for any other items or spent enough time to see my or your items

3) Its not fair to the buyer! Dude there are thousands of themes just like that. I mean EXACTLY like that.

4) Most buyers dont know anything about the coding or functions we integrate, so its normal for them not to differentiate these basic themes with free themes. Its again unfair to the buyer.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
It might be true for usual times but not during the time it spends on the homepage 1) First of all, if it wasn’t accepted, your item would stay longer on the homepage
This is true but the impact that the home page has on your item can be argued. I do not want to turn this into that discussion though so I’ll leave it.

2) Most visitors buy a single item and dissappear. They see the theme, think its ok, and buy it. They probably didnt search for any other items or spent enough time to see my or your items
Unless I’m mistaken, you have no statistics to back this up. I would imagine more visitors spend time searching around than you think.

3) Its not fair to the buyer! Dude there are thousands of themes just like that. I mean EXACTLY like that.
Not true. Yes, this may be a very simple theme but there are things you get at TF that you don’t get with free themes.

1) Author support
2) You can trust that it’s been coded properly
3) It comes with documentation

4) Most buyers dont know anything about the coding or functions we integrate, so its normal for them not to differentiate these basic themes with free themes. Its again unfair to the buyer.
How is this unfair to the buyer? Just because a buyer doesn’t know or understand what’s going on in the background doesn’t mean it isn’t higher quality than a free theme.

204 posts Bold WordPress Theme Development
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
srhnbr says

Then design and code for those buyers that come back!

Or develop a good reputation that even those that buy once will want to come again to see what’s new with you!

This way you benefit both yourself and this markerplace :)

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Bottom line – sales determine what we offer. If this template has already sold nine times, it has an audience. If, on the other hand, nobody purchased it, we would cease offering these sorts of themes.

by
by
by
by
by
by