5 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
ZeeshanSyed says

Hi guys!

I am planning to submit some of my work and I am planning to start with PSD submissions. If I get a good response, I can then move on to converting those templates to HTML /CSS and eventually Wordpress.

My clients provide me with stock photos or we can buy some on their behalf so basically, I have never had a problem working with images. Now, when I want to submit my work, I understand that we must steer clear of any legal troubles.

I can not afford to buy Extended License of course. I do not plan to redistribute the photos. I am looking for Preview/Display only photos. So, here is what I am looking for:

1) I need to know if I can use photos from sites like Creattica.com for Preview/Display purpose only. And if I can, do I need to ask permission from the photographers to use their work in preview files? In the PSD file, I will use Envato Assets.

2) Can we use watermarked photos from sites like Shutterstock.com or istockphoto.com or even Photodune.com? Again, please know that I am referring to the preview version only.

3) Can I purchase Standard License photos from different sites and use them in preview files but replace them with Envato’s Asset files in the sold version of the PSD ? Also, can I use those images in multiple site templates (preview only) or do I need to buy them over and over again even for preview?

As you can see, I could really need some help here and I hope that I will be able to learn from your past experiences.

Thanks everyone! Z

741 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Poland
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Orbital_Themes says

1. I’m not sure.

2. You can use watermarked images from PhotoDune in your previews. If I were you I would credit authors of those photos in the item description.

3. You can, but you will need one regular license for each item.

I recommend reading marketplace wiki, there is an article about preview images that will give you better idea what you can or cannot do.

Also, regarding you business plan of submitting PSD templates first and then coding them – remember that getting into PSD category on ThemeForest is really hard, whereas the HTML category is the easiest one to get into. Something that would be accepted as HTML template and sell good may not be accepted by reviewers to PSD category. Another thing is that PSD templates usually do not sell very well due to them requiring a lot of work to be converted into a live website.

5 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ZeeshanSyed says

@pogoking: Wow! Thank you so much for your valuable input!!! I am new here so I am not sure how saturated each category is. I have absolutely no problem trying out the HTML first. I have started using Bootstrap lately and absolutely LOVE the results.

I’d welcome more suggestions from rest of the authors here. Pretty sure the best way to learn is from learning from the experience of successful authors here.

5 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ZeeshanSyed says

2. You can use watermarked images from PhotoDune in your previews. If I were you I would credit authors of those photos in the item description.

One more question that comes to mind is, can I re-size the images taken from Photodune (watermarked version) to fit in my designs? Is that allowed?

And yes, I will provide due credit. Wouldn’t have it any other way :)

by
by
by
by
by
by