1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
jefferiesdesign says

I KNEW I shoudl have purchased this yesterday. I actualy feared something like this would happen but thought “The themes NEVER dissapear especially for the comments of current purchasers”.

I really hope this comes back as it was by far my number one pic for woocommerce theme. damn.

65 posts WordPress Themes Like Never Before
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
Astoundify says

I’d recommend reading this: http://coenjacobs.me/en/dont-buy-bundled-premium-plugins/

Bundling premium plugins with themes is complete Madness! The people getting screwed are the customers and the premium plugin authors, just so the theme author can make a “quick buck”.

Thank you Envato for putting a stop to this!

1236 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

What do you mean by bundling premium plugins with theme? My theme is almost ready and I’m planning to include revolution slider and visual composer with my theme. Is this the new problem? Should I avoid this to be safe from sudden rejections or removals? Most of the themeforest’s themes are using such plugins… You mean 90% of the themes will be removed soon?? What’s going on?

280 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
PrimaThemes says

What do you mean by bundling premium plugins with theme? My theme is almost ready and I’m planning to include revolution slider and visual composer with my theme. Is this the new problem? Should I avoid this to be safe from sudden rejections or removals? Most of the themeforest’s themes are using such plugins… You mean 90% of the themes will be removed soon?? What’s going on?

It is different story. You can include those plugins (Revolution Slider & Visual Composer) in your theme because the plugin authors allow you to do that, as along as you buy Extended License from them and ask permission from them to use their plugins in your ThemeForest Theme.

16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
deckerweb says

Bundling premium plugins with themes is complete Madness! The people getting screwed are the customers and the premium plugin authors, just so the theme author can make a “quick buck”.

That is exactly the point! Theme authors bundling plugins will have LOTS of problems especially in support with/for these plugins. As I said a disservice to customers! Also, in the perspective of updates to such plugins, customers have to wait for the theme author to react, instead of getting such an update a lot faster directly from the plugin author – and with full support.

I really don’t care if a lot of themes here get temporarily disabled until their authors learn the basics.

If your theme really rocks it doesn’t need any bundled plugins to increase its value!

Making themes compatible to plugins or recommend plugins is a whole lot different topic!!!

16 posts
+1 more
deckerweb says

Why would you do that? Why on earth do you want to bundle the “Visual Composer” plugin? Just make your theme play nice with it and recommend it but don’t bundle it! Let the plugin author give full support & updates etc. Concentrate on your theme, make it really rock!

Same for sliders: make your theme compatible with this specific sliders – or better: with the most popular slider plugins around. Let your customers decice which they want to use! (Or if any at all…)

Don’t distribute other people’s plugins or promote in their name. It WON’T make your theme any better for me. If your theme is well crafted & developed a 45 or 55 Dollar price is still like a steal and doesn’t need any bundled plugins…

176 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
StudioLeBus says

I don’t agree with that, having a theme with a lot of features and plug in included and redesigned or adapted for it is really great. It’s an assurance it’s working in the jungle of wordpress plugin..

Of course it should have the good licence and offer a solution for the support, but this is something that makes things really easier for (not advanced) users.

It’s really a shame themes disapeared like that… Envato should warn the author and if he doesn’t adapt his theme than make it dissapear…

Just my two cents..

1236 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

Why would you do that? Why on earth do you want to bundle the “Visual Composer” plugin? Just make your theme play nice with it and recommend it but don’t bundle it! Let the plugin author give full support & updates etc. Concentrate on your theme, make it really rock!

Same for sliders: make your theme compatible with this specific sliders – or better: with the most popular slider plugins around. Let your customers decice which they want to use! (Or if any at all…)

Don’t distribute other people’s plugins or promote in their name. It WON’T make your theme any better for me. If your theme is well crafted & developed a 45 or 55 Dollar price is still like a steal and doesn’t need any bundled plugins…

So why is there an extended license available and why the plugin authors are happy that we integrate their plugins into our themes? They also provide support to our theme buyers as well.

Why are you unhappy with themes that offer premium plugins to the buyers? Do you concern about buyers who can’t get support for the premium plugins? If it’s so, you should not worry about this issue as the price of the theme is not based on the premium plugins which are included in the theme. So the buyer does not pay for the plugin. And in the worse scenario, if the buyer is not happy with the support, then they can buy a separate license for the integrated plugins. (This is what you want at the start point but in my scenario this is the worse part of the story)

I think all of these can be solved if the authors who integrate premium plugins put a simple notification that there is different type of support for the bundled plugins and If you are unhappy with this type of support, you can buy a separate license any time.

Please note that I’m just talking about plugins which their developers give the theme authors permission to distribute their items.

212 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Located in Belgium
+3 more
Playnethemes says

Isn’t there an option framework that notifies you as soon as you install the theme that you should install some plugins to make it work? :) I think it is called option framework! ;)

16 posts
+1 more
deckerweb says

@imangm: I know what’s going on, especially with Sliders here from CodeCanyon in ThemeForest themes or your example with the “Visual Composer”.

Only if it is allowed it doesn’t mean it is good practice or a real benefit in the end.

IMHO, a theme should primarily do DESIGN, layout – the presentation. Plugins in WordPress are all about functionality. “Visual Composer” may seem a bit like a crossover thing but it was right way from its developer to make it available as a plugin because it could be reused with almost any theme. So there’s no need to bundle it in the end. Bundling makes it look to the end user like: I get more for my money. But that is not the case. There could be (and will be!) support issues where a plugin developer might not support bundled versions of his plugin—also, the plugin developer was not payed for that.

If a theme might sell 3,000 units and comes bundled with a plugin from CodeCanyon how in the world want the plugin author support it if he gets then, let’s say, 1,000 support requests more? An Extended license for CodeCanyon plugins is “only” 5 times of the regular price. So that would mean 5 units sold and not 1,000 (as are support requests in our example). So this is NO benefit for the plugin developer in the long run. Then, in that example the customer/ end user may be left with no support. And if support is seriously needed the customer could only re-buy the plugin from the original author just to get support. So as a result the customer still has to pay for the theme AND the plugin to get full support for both (and just add Updates topic to the list…).

The prices here are really a steal, for themes and also plugins. The Visual Composer plugin could be sold for, let’s say $80 or even $99 and it still would be a top offer for what you get as value! I know what I am talking about because I bought the Visual Composer plugin and hundreds of other premium plugins from various developers/ shops/ marketplaces!!!

This whole thing as it is or was here is like: every (theme) author tries to make higher, faster, bigger bundles to just make a few quick bucks and “compete” with other authors.

Where would this all end one day?

I understand new users/ beginners that may be very pleased at first sight with such “bundles”. But it’s just the wrong way of doing it. Look at the whole picture and just leave out CodeCanyon: take any other free or premium plugin from the WordPress ecosystem, for example Gravity Forms. Gravity Forms needs a license key for various things in the plugin and other services from its devs. Re-distributing of the plugin and license key is not allowed! For good reasons!

Also with free plugins, let’s say from WordPress.org: I currently have 32 free plugins available from there. I don’t want any ThemeForest author bundle any of these with his/her theme! And I won’t support requests from theme users with these plugins, I would send all these users back to the theme author! Just because I WILL NOT buy any of these themes (to check what’s going on) and I don’t know if the theme author has made changes to my original plugins. Period.

It’s a never ending story! It just needs to stop because it’s bad practice.

Also, it would be very welcomed if theme authors would do KISS – keep it simple stupid! A few authors on TF do that and they have one of the very best themes of the whole marketplace. They also outsource plugins and drop feature bloat. That’s the way themes begin to rock! Then the customer can decide which plugin may add additional functionality if ever needed.

A theme freed from feature bloat and stupid bundles is like coming home: coming back to where it all began and where really awesome designs and new ideas have the room to bloom and live!

by
by
by
by
by
by