• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
nedalm1 says

Hey guys,

I’ve been in love with soundtracks for so long now that I wanted to start playing with Fruity Loops.

I’m looking for a beginner tutorials or articles about FL. I Googled but only specific pops up, like Guitar Solos, Hip-Hop Beat etc. I’m kinda looking for all in one. Any suggestions?

Also, are there more great blogs about music as AudioTuts+? Like for web design there are many blogs and communities. I searched but nothing so well is coming out. Do you have any links? (if you are afraid of promotion, please send them via contact form.) :)

Next, more a techincal question. Is it enough to have keyboard (for start)? Also do you write notes on the sheet, or you put them directly into the program? Any good books you want to recommend? I went to Musical school for 6 years, so I remember some cords, durs and mols, but I would love to learn that again.

Anyway, long story short, anything that you think that it would be useful too me, please share.

Thanks! :)

264 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
soundengine says

Hi aerendyl,

I might not be able to give the best musical advice to you but the best advice i can give you is when you really start writing music, no memory will be enough for you to load all the instruments into a single interface, no hard disk will be enough to keep those gigabytes of instrument libraries and you’ll want to invest lots of money into those libraries. So get ready for it.

Other than that, the best place to learn using a software is youtube i think. Watch tutorials on there and it will be more than enough.

If you want to write music you need to have a good ear for music, you need to play at least one instrument and you need to know how other instruments work even though you don’t actually play them. For instance, if you’ve never been on a drum set, how would you know how hi-hat or kick drum would work in a drumline?

Same thing applies for any instrument. So, my second advice is start getting to know how each instrument work. At least, watch videos on youtube as if you are trying to learn playing that instrument.

I might not be a virtuoso in any instrument but at least i can play a few things on a few instruments and it really helps when you’re writing music for those instruments.

1421 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Norway
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Mihai_Sorohan says

I think those links might be useful (while I hope the mods will not erase links or remove my post which will get flagged as offensive).
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/freebies-best-free-vst-effects/15145
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/freebies-samplers-and-sample-libraries/18932
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/freebies-free-synths/26145
and non Envato links:
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/
http://www.vstcafe.com/
and probably the most complete and useful database of music software, the mighty KVR :
http://www.kvraudio.com/

I’m not insulting anyone, I’m not selling or advertising my products. Also, the external links are not to concurrent market places, not to free stock audio, photo or video.

496 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
JType says

I would definitely recommend youtube as a decent place to start. Specifically, try to look for tutorials on learning the basics of whichever software studio you choose to work with (ie. Fruityloops).

Just learning the basics of the software will give you a lot more freedom to experiment and play around, creating your own original music right from day one.

That said, if you have any other specific questions regarding production techniques or technology, feel free to ask us here. There’s some very knowledgeable people on this forum. :)

19 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
majstor037 says

http://www.youtube.com/user/imageline <—that’s FL’s official YT channel and they have good tutorials, but it’ mostly concentrating on some specific feature. When I was learning FL, I was experimenting a lot (and still do). Explore those demo tracks that come with FL, so you can see the structure of project, and other stuff. You also have tutorial projects that come with FL when you install it. But find yourself new sounds, soundbanks, VSTs, etc, on the internet, because FL is poor when it comes to sound resources. You can start with free sounds you find, and later buy some if you need

(Nakon sve muke da sklepam post na engleskom, vidim da si hrvat hahaha :D Ako ti treba pomo?, ja ?u pomo?i koliko mogu. Možeš mi poslati i poruku u inbox; a možeš pitati i ovdje, ali nisam siguran da li ovdje dopuštaju raspravu na drugim jezicima osim engleskog…)

162 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Russian Federation
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
cleanmindsounds says

I can advise you to watch video is not for the FL studio. And for the VST orchestral instruments to contact the player and some other sound libraries. I am confident these videos will be much closer it is to the soundtrack.

174 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
nedalm1 says

Thanks on your replies. I searched on Youtube and I find few videos, I hope that they’ll help.

Majstore037 – thanks mate, will contact you. :)

Cleanmindsounds – OMG I just googled for the VST orchestra and I love it! Thanks a lot! :)

693 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+3 more
OhmLab says

Hi Aerendyl,

I don’t personally use FL, but I know that Lynda.com is a good place to get started with just about any software out there. You can use the service for a month at no charge, and browse through other programs while you’re at it (like Logic, ProTools, Reason, Ableton, etc). You never know when you will see the program you want to grow into after FL! :)

Best of luck!

Cheers, OhmLab

by
by
by
by
by
by