151 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Keenpixel says

Hi guys!

I would appreciate your thoughts and help…

I’m looking to upgrade my computer since my current system is seriously outdated! I don’t have a huge amount to spend however, so I’m looking for the best system that is fairly affordable (which means no Mac).

Of course I want something that can handle extensive graphics, CS4 , etc. since I’m a web and graphic designer. Also need to be able to use the internet and play a game or two. I know the reviews are varied, but I have my eye on the Dell XPS 8300 . What do you guys think?

Thanks!

1236 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
HarveyDesign says

You’ll get much more bang for your buck by building your own custom PC, Custom built PCs like “Dell” are in my opinion often over inflated in terms of price and tend to use low quality parts or parts that will be outdated in a few months thus you may consider upgrading some parts already.

Building your own PC is very easy these days and very satisfying when you know you’ve gotten so much more for less money. :)

116 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
_1981_ says

I’m not gonna start a Mac vs. PC debate but….

Don’t completely rule out the possibility of getting a Mac if you want one… you can find used Macs in great condition for much less than they cost new. I bought a 17” MacBook Pro more than 8 years ago and used it for 4 years before selling it to a friend for 1/3 what I paid for it and he still uses that computer today.

My point is, you can get a used Mac for a great price and get a nice long life out of it. Of course, if your budget is super low (below $300-400)... my advice may not be very important and you should just ignore what I have just said, or save a little more and INVEST in a better product to get most use for your money.

57 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Networksavvy says

Hi guys!

I would appreciate your thoughts and help…

I’m looking to upgrade my computer since my current system is seriously outdated! I don’t have a huge amount to spend however, so I’m looking for the best system that is fairly affordable (which means no Mac).

Of course I want something that can handle extensive graphics, CS4 , etc. since I’m a web and graphic designer. Also need to be able to use the internet and play a game or two. I know the reviews are varied, but I have my eye on the Dell XPS 8300 . What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I’d build it your self, it’s fairly easy to do, more cost effective and you get exactly what you want.

3085 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Raincutter says

I got myself a customized PC few months ago. And the previous one was custom built too. Always works great. So as everyone has said, go for the custom built. That way you can spend more on the parts that you actually need. Namely for us, a decent graphics card, a neat amount of hard drive plus good amount of RAM .

My specs:

• Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz
  • 4 GB of RAM
  • 500 GB of RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GT 240 video card

I didn’t go with the i Series because well, it wasn’t really needed that much.

118 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+4 more
psdfiles says

What ever you get ensure it will run 3D graphics !!!!!.

343 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Europe
+6 more
Artorius says

I haven’t bought a desktop computer for quite some years and now I’m mainly using a notebook with a monitor attached. But what I’ve noticed is that prices outside my country are much lower. A system similar to the dell you have your eye on costs almost double here. $750 for that dell is an amazing price.

399 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
aRtlessX says

+100000000000000 to the “build it yourself” mainly because of what Harvey said. There are some Athlon II x6 core models which are better than some I5 or I7 models. So it’s important to know what you’re getting and to get the best choice (especially when on budget) you have to choose your parts yourself to ensure VFM and a much better performance.

Also, forget about even a used mac (and honestly, even if you had the money, it’s a common truth that you can build a better performance pc with the same money you’d give for a new mac, but anyway) , even if they give it to you for $300. It won’t be anything higher than a 2 Duo core and for me that’s a joke by itself considering what new CPUs are out there these days in decent affordable prices.

I’m on my way for a budget computer myself and for starters I’m getting nothing less than an athlon II x6 (1055T or even higher 1075/1090). 8 gig of ram is plenty for web and graphic design, a good card and I’ll be flying high and still on a budget. I don’t care at all about games so that’s not my concern though but as I understand these specs are fine for that too. And for some decent video editing too.

151 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Keenpixel says

Hey guys,

Thanks for your thoughts. I understand what you’re saying, but I’m afraid that custom building isn’t in the cards this time around. Really need something I can just purchase “as is” and be up and running!

@Artorius – where did you see the Dell XPS 830 for $750? On the Dell website it starts at $800ish and with extra components, etc. it’s more like $1400. That’s about the max of my budget right now and would like to spend even less then that if possible since I’ll need to be upgrading Adobe CS as well. That costs more than most computers!

185 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ChrisFarina says

+100000000000000 to the “build it yourself” mainly because of what Harvey said. There are some Athlon II x6 core models which are better than some I5 or I7 models. So it’s important to know what you’re getting and to get the best choice (especially when on budget) you have to choose your parts yourself to ensure VFM and a much better performance.

Also, forget about even a used mac (and honestly, even if you had the money, it’s a common truth that you can build a better performance pc with the same money you’d give for a new mac, but anyway) , even if they give it to you for $300. It won’t be anything higher than a 2 Duo core and for me that’s a joke by itself considering what new CPUs are out there these days in decent affordable prices.

I’m on my way for a budget computer myself and for starters I’m getting nothing less than an athlon II x6 (1055T or even higher 1075/1090). 8 gig of ram is plenty for web and graphic design, a good card and I’ll be flying high and still on a budget. I don’t care at all about games so that’s not my concern though but as I understand these specs are fine for that too. And for some decent video editing too.

++1

I recommend building your machine for a fraction of what a mac costs as well. Macs are built well and all but if some thing goes down (like the infamous logic board) You can not just run to your local computer store and pick up a new part, install it, and be back up and running the same day.

by
by
by
by
by
by