• Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+5 more
lucafrancini Reviewer says

Hi folks! Which is the most reliable portable hard disk out there? I’ve just broken my Western Digital My Passport after a year of use. I use it just to backup some files once a week so it’s not always connected to usb.

3671 posts Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

When looking at the title of this thread, I was going to suggest a WD Passport.. ;)

In any case, these things are usually subject to averages and outliers.. In my opinion you’re better off finding some statistical record somewhere from a data center that tested hundreds, rather than go by one or two individual reviews.

1379 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more

When looking at the title of this thread, I was going to suggest a WD Passport.. ;) In any case, these things are usually subject to averages and outliers.. In my opinion you’re better off finding some statistical record somewhere from a data center that tested hundreds, rather than go by one or two individual reviews.

I’ll do it, and maybe I was just unlucky with mine

abhimanyusharma003
abhimanyusharma003 Recent Posts Threads Started
569 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
abhimanyusharma003 says

Why not your prefer on-line storage instead. ?

1379 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more

My last addittion to backup was 4 giga (and I have hundreds giga in my other backup copies) and I don’t have internet connection on my main music pc
936 posts Where words leave off, music begins.
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • United Kingdom
+1 more
AlumoAudio says

I’ve actually resorted to using Google Drive for online storage of my important files, after suffering a couple of catastrophic hard drive failures in the last year or so. Used alongside hardware drives is a wise idea in my opinion.

1379 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more

I’ve actually resorted to using Google Drive for online storage of my important files, after suffering a couple of catastrophic hard drive failures in the last year or so. Used alongside hardware drives is a wise idea in my opinion.

If you’re talking about important files like documents ok, I’m fine with dropbox and online backup is a great idea, but how can you upload tons of gigas of projects with all the audio stuff inside? My connections would allow me to do that in 20 days of continuous uploading, I guess:D

1272 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Germany
UJ-pro says

Hi folks! Which is the most reliable portable hard disk out there? I’ve just broken my Western Digital My Passport after a year of use. I use it just to backup some files once a week so it’s not always connected to usb.

Hi Luca,

that’s just misfortune with your HDD. Why not a WD again?!

As long as you just use it for backups you will always have the earlier version on your main disk and nothing will be lost.

4 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
l_cordell says

Mine broke a while ago too, I was looking at this one: Toshiba Canvio Slim II 1TB… A friend at my work got one and was able to transfer large PC files to Mac, and back the other way, without any special formatting, which is something I’ve been looking for. For now, I’ve just been using Google Drive. Good luck!

936 posts Where words leave off, music begins.
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • United Kingdom
+1 more
AlumoAudio says

If you’re talking about important files like documents ok, I’m fine with dropbox and online backup is a great idea, but how can you upload tons of gigas of projects with all the audio stuff inside? My connections would allow me to do that in 20 days of continuous uploading, I guess:D

Ahh yes, I could see the problem there Luca! I’m fortunate enough here to have a pretty fast upload connection, so doesn’t pose a problem. But it’s still a good thing to consider for the future, even if it means going through the initial pain of uploading one batch of audio projects at a time.

by
by
by
by
by
by