17 posts
bojs says

I’m a senior frontend developer and designer. And I kind of do some backend stuff here and there, more like a copy-paste thing then actually programming :)

Lately, I started doing some basic PHP. I never learned PHP before, as I’m a frontend mostly, but lately I realized how much more I can do with Wordpress if I learn at least a little PHP. I realized I can do full custom Wordpress themes by myself with a basic PHP knowledge.

So I learned what are loops, variables, functions, arrays, and some similar pretty basic stuff. And I now use some of those when needed while doing my Wordpress work.

Now, I’m not into learning PHP to a very pro level. That would be too much for me right know, cause I definitelly don’t have time to go too much into it. But I want to learn it enough so that I can confortably use it with Wordpress codex, and resolve some basic everyday Wordpress requests.

I want to learn PHP enough to make some not-so-complexed plugins (I already know how to create some very basic widgets and shortcodes) and to understand PHP used in Wordpress better.

So, besides Wordpress codex, which I already use a lot… what would be the best way to learn PHP for Wordpress use. Currently, I don’t want to lose time learning PHP that is, in most cases, not used in Wordpress. I want to learn PHP the Wordpress way, because I use Wordpress for 99% of my projects, and that is where I will use PHP stuff.

So does this make sense, somehow learning PHP only for Wordpress and understanding what I should learn there and what not… or should I just continue learning PHP by itself, outside of Wordpress, and then later on, when I get enough knowledge of it, incorporate it with my Wordpress work.

Any kind of tips?

1057 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

I would say that first you should learn the language (PHP) and only after that the PHP&CMS (WordPress)

Personally I don’t know “PHP that is, in most cases, not used in Wordpress.” as you said. Any PHP code can be used in a WordPress theme or maybe in a plugin at a certain moment of time.

47 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
SubatomicThemes says

I started by looking carefully at the Twenty Fourteen theme (or their earlier themes). Learning and using their code and functions definately helped me a lot. After all, who better to learn from than the people who made WordPress ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by