44 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bulgaria
G_and_P says

So here is what I’m wondering…

You all know about Option-tree and similar frameworks that theme authors are using for their theme option pages. You also all know that since 3.4 WordPress introduced their Customization API. Obviously they will want theme authors to use it instead of the frameworks metnioned. And obviously this will be the good way, since it’s native.

However, their is one issue… WP Customizer doesn’t provide enough space. Imagine you have huge options panel such as this one for example:

I can think of a way to import all of them into the Customizer… that also goes for social links, layout options, background pattern options and so on…

One way I can think of is creating separate admin pages for these… but if you get that approach chances are that you will end up with few different pages for your options.. and that will surely confuse guys using your theme.

So what we should do?

Please, let me know your thoughts.

1173 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

The only thing in the screenshot above that needs space is the header images, the rest could easily be placed into the Customisation API. Bear in mind you can enqueue CSS, JS, and custom controls on the theme customiser, so with a little bit of creativity you can easily create a simple system perfect for the above page with no problem.

Loads of authors here will argue against the theme customiser, but I’ve been using it for all my themes on here and never run into any issue.

The great thing is, it works perfectly, no matter what, with each WP Update, unlike external options panels (potential CSS breaks on each WP Update if there are any shared styles)

44 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bulgaria
G_and_P says

Thanks Tom, I’ll check your portfolio :)

438 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • United States
ThemeBeans says

I’m a huge supporter of the Customization API as well. Been using it for the last 5 or so themes and have plans to update older themes with it as well. Like TommusRhodus mentioned, things will continue to work right with minor and major WP updates – whereas I used to have to update my options framework quite a bit on every major WP version. Saves a lot of time and energy on the developers side, and a lot of “unnecessary relearning” on the users side.

Rich

by
by
by
by
by
by