• Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
Sara_p says

Hi all,

we created a new theme with 9 different “skin” (layout design) and in the theme panel the user can choose if import the demo files of this skin. This demo files overwrite the content of the site, so the user lose pages, products. This is the best solution for who start from scratch and not for who want to change theme and already has a site with content.

The theme was rejected for this.

The reviewer said:

1. This is a no-no: http://envato.d.pr/sOKq/3MHaiBZt

- First of all, WordPress doesn’t have “skins”, WP’s native feature is called Child Themes.

- Then you warn the user that they may lose all the data if they don’t upload the said “skin” before any customization. — Unfortunately we cannot accept this approach. Again, please follow best practices.

So, i want to know something about the “best practices”. I purchased another best seller theme with “skin” and he provide just a single xml, but is a nightmare! My developer imported the xml and the result is not like the demo, and we have to set each widget, sidebar and so on.

I provided the gz file for all my themes and my customers are happy for this. 99% of customers start from scratch, other customers not import the gz and in this way everyone is happy.

Can i provide both gz file and xml file and then the user can choose? The gz is the best solution to import the content of the live preview exactly like the live preview and my customers ask this!

Please help, i have to send again the theme and find a solution.

thank you so much.

S.

3437 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

My developer imported the xml and the result is not like the demo, and we have to set each widget, sidebar and so on.

You serious about this? :| This is how the xml importer works, anyone knows it.

Anyway, about the “you will loose everything when importing”, this is the worst practice that i have ever heard about. Only half of your clients start with a fresh installation, the other half already have their websites setup and simply want a theme to skin their current content.

123 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
+1 more
Sara_p says

This is what i said :) This is not easy to have the same look of the demo with the xml, the customer has to manage a lot of settings. The xml not import the settings of the theme options, like typography and color settings so i can provide an xml for my default “skin” but not for all the skin.

I can say that all my customers want this and nobody asked me the xml. When we released the first themes we made here (years ago) we released the xml but we had a lot of bad ratings because “the theme not look like the demo”.

My question is: why is not possible to provide both, xml for customers that already have a site, and gz for customers that start with a fresh installation? I think is a “bonus” for my customer provide the choise for this.

I really want to understand and follow the best practice, but i also want to make my customers happy :(

Anyway, if this is the solution, we will remove the gz and provide just the xml file.

235 posts themesdepot.org
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
ThemesDepot says

For what reason you would need to overwrite/delete existing content? Can’t you just import the content without removing any existing content?

3437 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

but we had a lot of bad ratings because “the theme not look like the demo”.

Sometimes you need to educate clients instead of giving them bad solutions. I agree that it’s harder, but you are doing WordPress themes here, not your own custom websites. You need to play by the rules, that is, WordPress rules.

123 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
+1 more
Sara_p says

Okay, will do…

114 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
goofydadog says

Can’t you provide the gz as a optional link in the description? I love your themes! and I love the ease of setup!

I hate it when the xml does not include things like colours or fonts and you need to look at source code to find out what colour the demo uses.

1081 posts
  • Forum Superstar
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Smartik says

First of all, importing demo content is not a requirement, so the reviewer shouldn’t ask to include it and not include your own solution.

Second. I think I understand why you need to delete all existing content, but it is better to make this optional. For example, if the user just want to import demo content, ask him how exactly does he want to do it. So, the user can choose between, delete or merge with existing content. Add a warning and a confirmation when he tries to perform an action and in the end everyone will be happy.

2051 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

I’m pretty sure the only thing you’re doing wrong here is deleting their pre-existing content; Vellum 1.3 does something similar except it doesn’t delete anything – it overwrites existing content such as settings but never deletes posts, pages, images or anything of the sort to my understanding.

14 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Egypt
TieLabs says

Hi,

You can include the WordPress Importer plugin in your theme to import the demo contents like posts, pages etc from XML file and it will not overwrite exists content.

and via custom functions you can insert the default theme settings for the chosen skin and insert the default widgets.

regards

by
by
by
by
by
by