• Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Hey, for those interested in TV history, this one’s a cracker… All about the original development of a worldwide digital video standard around 1980.

It explains how all the digital video standards we use today stem from the quest to find a digital standard that would be compatible with all analogue TV standards.

I think I may be a geek.

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_304-rec601_wood.pdf

1000 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+3 more
baf2681 Reviewer says

We are all secretly GEEKS ! Why else do we do this stuff.

145 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Indonesia
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
frayquantum says

and lately, there has been talks about 3D TVs and 120hz scan freq. lol

4789 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more

Yeah – I was chatting to a guy the other day. Apparently, stereoscopic is the next big thing. He has a company dedicated to it, so he might be a tad biased, but I think it’s on its way.

There’s a whole load of new standards being formed there too. For instance, when a stereoscopic camera(s) looks at an object, to what extent do the cameras point towards each other – as the human eye does? Or when using a telephoto lens, should the cameras be set further apart from one another to avoid the binoculars effect? And if so, by how much?

Actually, my feeling is that stereoscopic will actually find the most application in gaming and communications. Skype 3D – where you want to feel like you’re in the room with the person. In gaming, the advantages are obvious.

Higher scan rates are probably good for live TV, but film will stay at 24fps. If film feels too ‘real’ the illusion is broken. If you’ve ever seen a feature film on a TV that interpolates progressive scan or 3:2 pulldown up to 60Hz interlaced, you’ll know what I mean.

1000 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+3 more
baf2681 Reviewer says

yeah but then everyone will have to wear those stupid glasses :) I’ll be on board if they figure out stereoscopic contact lenses. that would be sick.

4892 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I personally hate the 3D thing. It’s a cool concept, but IMO not something that should be used for serious work. I watched My Bloody Valentine in 3D and was having migraine headaches within 15 minutes.

I think with new aspects of digital distribution taking off to new levels, in a legal way. These studios are having trouble with viewers, and getting people into movie theaters. It’s a gimmick to attract people.

Just my two cents.

4789 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more

I think I’m with you on that one Mark. 3D has somehow always managed to be a flash in the pan before, so why not this time round too?

I still reckon gamers will be well into it though. And they find the daft glasses totally cool too. :)

145 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Indonesia
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
frayquantum says

the new method of projection (RealD which uses two projectors with polarized llight) feels better than the old red/blue anaglyph method (if they can work to get more frame/second to make it smoother that is) but yeah, a few people will get dizzy(albeit much fewer than the old method).

for me RealD works well unless there’s a fast motion, where the left frame/right frame kinda buzz around and cancels each other(maybe just my eye). it also works better if you’re farther from the screen, most people says it’s less dizzying.

I think it’s a good thing they are allowed to bloom a little, this way some money will be put into research, and hopefully something cooler will pops up in a short while :D

like these guys

by
by
by
by
by
by