So I’m interested in learning guitar and was wondering what’s the best way for someone with no music background to learn? I know GarageBand has some downloadable tutorials and some cool features like a built tuner, but what are some other, popular, and effective apps/websites/YouTube series?
Thanks a bunch!
As a beginner I used “guitar tabs” they are super easy to understand and you can learn a whole song in just a couple of hours.
Ex: if you want to play Helicopter by Bloc Party, search “helicopter bloc party guitar tabs” and you will find these things.
The guides are very easy to understand; the numbers represent guitar frets.
Watch this tutorial on how to read guitar tabs.
Learn basic chords such as a, c, d, g, f and so on and try playing simple songs such as sipmle man (I think the Shinedown version is easier), wonderwall – oasis, Kryptonite – 3 doors down.
Those are the first songs I learned.. took me about a week to get them all right but if you spend an hour per day for a week you learn fast. And don’t worry about your fingers, the pain will stop once you’ve played enough xD
Edit: And check out this guy: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=guitarjamz+easy+beginner+songs&oq=guitarjamz+&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l4j0i10j0j0i10j0l3.812.8263.0.11604.33.20.9.184.108.40.206.1690.15j5.20.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.rmFqXxpNLsY
He’s brilliant and have alot of songs for beginners
Learn to read tabs. Get guitar pro software, which is very easy to use. Just be sure to get the 5.5 version, not the fancy new stuff which is too complicated for no reason. Then go to ultimate-guitar.com and search for your favourite songs and try to play along. Look for instructions on the internet on how to read guitar tabs, they’re very easy. That’s how i started.
- Go to the music store and buy a guitar
- Go back home, leave the guitar in the closet and forget about it
- Go out, meet people, fall in love
- Sooner or later, you’ll find yourself feeling sad and lonely
- Go back home, open the closet, grab the guitar and play
Make sure you learn the right music style. Than e, g and a should be enough.
Back in the good old days, I just had a crappy guitar my aunt gave me, and some books for learning. I was about 12 and didn’t have much of a social life, so that helped.
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.