226 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Russian Federation
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
chipree says

I’ve been working with the best IDE I could find: Netbeans for php. It’s got code completion for php, js, css, html.. It also has code beautifier for all previous languages.. tidies them all up very well and I can do this very fast using hotkeys… I can add php, css, js code in html and it knows to identify it… colors everything up and makes it tidy and organized…

But it’s loading very very slow.. I hate the tabs.. it’s loading very very slow.. it’s based on eclipse so it’s loading very very slow and it has a lot of stuff I don’t need that take up space. Did I mention it’s loading slow?

For some time.. I’ve been using notepad++ .. but I don’t have all the 100% required features I mentioned at the beginning but it loads very very fast and I like it…

Whare are you guys/gals using on windows?? or even mac or linux… (hopefully it’s cross platform)

Anything yo can recommend?

240 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
rarepearldesign says

I tried them all and was ready to throw the PC out the window until I found a gem. Aptana Studio 2 is by far the best I’ve used for PHP . Full intellisense and code complete withe php plugin.

It still doesn’t compare to Visual Studio that I use for my .net development but its the best for PHP stuff.

83 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Bruno_V says

I’ve used aptana, intype and notepad++ . Definitely stick to notepad++ although it doesn’t have many features the other do. It’s simple and I like that.

226 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Russian Federation
chipree says
I tried them all and was ready to throw the PC out the window until I found a gem. Aptana Studio 2 is by far the best I’ve used for PHP . Full intellisense and code complete withe php plugin. It still doesn’t compare to Visual Studio that I use for my .net development but its the best for PHP stuff.

Aptana is based on Eclipse.. and last I checked Netbeans is much better in speed and ease of use for code completion, highlighting, tidy.. etc Not sure how Aptana Studio 2 is… maybe they made it better… but still.. I’m having my doubts because of Eclipse

PS: how’s the experience on a mac? (never had a mac and really trying to switch) ... IDE ’s there better?

226 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Russian Federation
chipree says
I’ve used aptana, intype and notepad++ . Definitely stick to notepad++ although it doesn’t have many features the other do. It’s simple and I like that.

Simple but takes a lot of time to organize stuff.. things that a IDE like netbeans does and helps a lot .. saves you a lot of time. did not test intype.. might give it a go..

But still looking for the perfect IDE … unfortunately .. netbeans for php is it so far :(

738 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

Does Notepad++ really count as an IDE , though? I don’t think it’s full-featured enough (IE Aptana has a preview mode, etc) to be considered an IDE .

As for the best, I really like KompoZer; one fatal flaw though, the CSS editor is horribly user-friendly. (Yes it’s a bad thing, check it out if you haven’t)

I’ve yet to find one to suit my needs, but I still need to check out a few like the one by Microsoft.

Here are a couple links that might interest you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTML_editors#WYSIWYG_editors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTML_editors#Basic_text_editors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_HTML_editors
http://www.wdvl.com/Reviews/HTML/

Good luck.

240 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
rarepearldesign says

Aptana Studio 2 is NOTHING like the older version. I used the previous Aptana and deleted it within a 1/2 hour. Aptana 2 is well worth an install, trust me.

226 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Russian Federation
chipree says
Aptana Studio 2 is NOTHING like the older version. I used the previous Aptana and deleted it within a 1/2 hour. Aptana 2 is well worth an install, trust me.

I just installed it.. you made me curious… How do you beautify (tidy) code in Aptana 2? Update : I found out it’s Ctrl+shift+F .. that’s perfect.. but what about php? how do I make everything work with php? (netbeans has a +1 because it already had php too)

240 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
rarepearldesign says

Make sure you have the PHP development plugin installed.

Right click the source, Hit “Run HTML Tidy”

240 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
rarepearldesign says

On My Studio tab, Click Plugins -> Featured -> PHP Development Tools (PDT)

by
by
by
by
by
by