228 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
stevebluck says

I like the idea but I can’t see it working that well…

Imagine I create a file and it sells 100 times in a month. The sales then decline to about 10 a month. Ok so if I update this file, I may have a chance that my current buyers will purchase the extended download period.

Out of say 200 current buyers I think possibly around 5 – 10 will do over a long period of time. Now I know this is a good thing, but to me I don’t think it’s a big enough incentive to spend my time adding large updates to my files so I can get an extra few sales. I still think using my time to create new files will get me a better chance of more income.

I think the idea of a recently updated items tab somwhere would benefit the authors and buyers in a much more positive way. This gives old files exposure.

1435 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

maybe it is not a big updates? Maybe is just to update the files to compatible to the latest technology?

For example wordpress version compatibility.

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says
I don’t think it’s a big enough incentive to spend my time adding large updates to my files so I can get an extra few sales.

I agree with you there…I haven’t had too much luck getting past clients to let me upgrade Wordpress for security patches if it costs them money. I think most people like to set it and forget it when it comes to their websites. If they have a template that works with Wordpress 2.8, then they will just use Wordpress 2.8.

26 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
gcarpenter says
I don’t think it’s a big enough incentive to spend my time adding large updates to my files so I can get an extra few sales.
I agree with you there…I haven’t had too much luck getting past clients to let me upgrade Wordpress for security patches if it costs them money. I think most people like to set it and forget it when it comes to their websites. If they have a template that works with Wordpress 2.8, then they will just use Wordpress 2.8.

Keep in mind:

1. This new feature should INCREASE initial purchases as well. For my most important sites, I ONLY purchase subscription-supported themes from dedicated theme shops. I need to know the files will be updated. And many of these themes are not as attractive or appealing as ones on TF. Given this option, I would switch to TF. You can bet I’m not alone in this thinking.

2. Without this change, you would still get comments and criticisms if you do not support your files (even though it is of course absurd to expect you to update them indefinitely for free). Although that criticism is unwarranted, it can still hurt your future sales, because new potential buyers notice such comments. Why not instead convert this criticism to cash and eliminate it?

3. Substantially improving a file (or making it work with revised external frameworks) is like offering a new file. It is certainly more practical to improve an existing file than to make an entirely new one and do everything from scratch, speculatively. Plus, you never know if a new one will sell as well. Your existing files have track records. If you have an existing winner, this multiplies the profits.

Envato could also make this program optional to authors. You decide if you want to be involved.

In summary, here’s the big advantage:

“Instead of just selling files, authors would in effect now have a real, ongoing business.

by
by
by
by
by
by