139 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
n-media says

Hi Talented TF Developers!

Any one can tell me how to block spam comments on a WordPress website? I have tried some plugins and added captcha as well but they keep coming :( Please help me out, I hope you guys have better ideas?

Thanks much!

332 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says

I suppose you can try Askimiet. Is there any email adres displayed on the site that spambots can pick up on?

3466 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Yes, Akismet is the standard and comes included in every WordPress install.

You can also block comments with X number of links and force them to require review before being posted via the WordPress admin.

139 posts
+2 more
n-media says

I suppose you can try Askimiet. Is there any email adres displayed on the site that spambots can pick up on?

Thanks for quick response. Akismet is PAID, I am looking for FREE solution. There is info@domain.com email is displayed on pages but WP Admin email is not listed anywhere on pages.

139 posts
+2 more
n-media says

Yes, Akismet is the standard and comes included in every WordPress install. You can also block comments with X number of links and force them to require review before being posted via the WordPress admin.

Thanks for your response :) Akismet is PAID, I am looking for FREE solution. Comments are blocked until approved by admin but its sends notifications on email too much, we have to open and read and see is it spam or not, then delete it or approve it. Furstrating and they are in big numbers. How they can pass captcha I wonder?

139 posts
+2 more
n-media says

anybody can help, please???

3466 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Well, you kinda have two choices:

1. Deal with spam filtering manually (FREE solution ;) )

2. Pay to have Akismet handle it

Automatic spam filtering works by collectively monitoring all sites using the filtering software – since they have to pay for all the server bandwidth and processing that it takes to effectively filter spam for you, it makes sense that this is a paid service – it’s not just a standalone plugin that runs solely on your server – it’s the network of sites that makes it valuable, and centralizing that information and processing is expensive.

If you don’t want to deal with spam, paying Akismet is worth it.

Depending on the CAPTCHA plugin, it may not be blocking direct hits to the comment submission URL. I’ve been using Conditional CAPTCHA for WordPress, and found that it cut down on about 95% of the spam comments I was getting. Maybe try that one.

Another option would be to use something like Disqus.

Good luck!

139 posts
+2 more
n-media says

Well, you kinda have two choices:

1. Deal with spam filtering manually (FREE solution ;) )

2. Pay to have Akismet handle it

Automatic spam filtering works by collectively monitoring all sites using the filtering software – since they have to pay for all the server bandwidth and processing that it takes to effectively filter spam for you, it makes sense that this is a paid service – it’s not just a standalone plugin that runs solely on your server – it’s the network of sites that makes it valuable, and centralizing that information and processing is expensive.

If you don’t want to deal with spam, paying Akismet is worth it.

Depending on the CAPTCHA plugin, it may not be blocking direct hits to the comment submission URL. I’ve been using Conditional CAPTCHA for WordPress, and found that it cut down on about 95% of the spam comments I was getting. Maybe try that one.

Another option would be to use something like Disqus.

Good luck!

Awesome response! Thanks :) I am going to try this out: Conditional CAPTCHA for WordPress And Disquis yes have seen that, will it block 100% spam without any other plugin needed? I know it requires to register or login with social networks.

Reason I cant use paid service is that, I have 2 clients want to stop this and they don’t want to pay for that at this moment. And I am sincere to them and trying to find a solution to their problem.

Please comment about about the above question I mentioned regarding Disquis. Thanks much!

206 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
biyanpasau says
106 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
pjtops says

Another option (not free), from Code Canyon: http://codecanyon.net/item/ghost-captcha-for-wordpress/4151702

by
by
by
by
by
by