IndustrialThemes Recent Posts Threads Started
145 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
IndustrialThemes says

I have been having trouble with people running my theme without actually having purchased a license from ThemeForest. While I’m not an ungrateful kind of guy (I’m extremely thankful for all of my sales), I am getting sort of sick of it. I almost considered using a mechanism on the theme that blocked functionality without the user entering in a public key or password of some sort in the theme options panel. I have two questions for the community:

1) Is this in any way against Envato’s terms of service, or could this be construed as shady or unethical in any way at all?

2) Has anyone else gone about integrating something like this into any of their themes? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks everyone, and happy holidays!

Brian

2024 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+8 more
revaxarts says

I don’t recommend such practice cause you may scare off “good” buyers and the “bad” one still find a way to bypass you block

4264 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

It is unethical and not allowed to sell a file that is blocked on purpose or has purposely implemented bugs. Considering not all buyers are good at WP or HTML or whatever, this may be a bit confusing to your average Joe , but, I believe that using the Envato API and the license key would be allowed, in any way, the forums are the right place to direct this question. I also suggest you contact supportor staff to give you a definitive answer!

3231 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

unfortunately doing that will most likely make your problem worse, people tend to try and bypass “locked” items more than stuff thats not it would almost be a target on your themes for people to try break and share, if that makes any sense

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says
OrganicBeeMedia said
unfortunately doing that will most likely make your problem worse, people tend to try and bypass “locked” items more than stuff thats not it would almost be a target on your themes for people to try break and share, if that makes any sense

Agreed

IndustrialThemes
IndustrialThemes Recent Posts Threads Started
145 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
IndustrialThemes says

Thanks everyone, this is exactly why I turn to the forums – it’s full of people smarter (and more experienced) than me! Your replies definitely make sense.

by
by
by
by
by
by