5 posts
  • Italy
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
mungle says

Hello themes developers! I’m a customer who buy themes to build the image of my own company without reselling them, anyway, your themes are great but they looks all the same… all of them have are onepage websites with parallax effect… I’m a bit bored of that… I think you could improove sales with a new fresh theme concept without copy each others… isn’t it a great idea?

Just a suggestion… Bye bye…

611 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

BORED… Seen such messages a thousand times ;)

You are right though, but don’t expect this message will help in any way since there are allready been countless threads about it.

Best thing you could do as a customer is to keep away from from all the similar looking themes, spend a little more time searching for more unique ones ( i know, time is valuable ) and use them for your projects. This way authors with more unique themes feel satisfied and will continue creating those.

Besides that you can’t ignore and do anything about the fact that it’s also buyers’ who make certain trends popular. And if a certain trend sells there will come more and more items which follow that trend – to sell.

269 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
pebas says

I think he/she do not know how to make unique theme from any purchased theme here which is quite easy and of course possible with little effort and knowledge. Almost all recent themes have quite wide range of possibilities for modifications, we authors know that the best.

But that expectation is what I can see coming from many buyers, they expect unique concept without any effort or payed help for $40-$60.

At the end here they are giving ‘systematic & constructive’ critique, blah…keep the change.

5 posts
  • Italy
mungle says

Hello pebas, I’m not saying that is easy to make a theme for the marketplace… but as I know and as you say…make a flexible theme require a lot of efforts so why make one which is the same as an other one? I think the difficult to make a theme which looks the same like others and the difficult to make a different-unconventional theme are the same or not? The only difference is the author creativity…

Yes, I’m not a guru but I’m free to buy and use them or not? I’m also able to customize and rebuild them but that require more time to understand how author build it instead to make a new one…if you looks the newest theme, 90% are onepage parralax… they looks all the same with some changes that you can reach modifying any other similar themes, so, one is the same as an other one if we think like you.

And remember… if you are here and you can make money here is because customers like me buy items, so please, listen and do not attack me as I could also be a customer of you… and if you think that 45 or more dollars for each theme licens is not a great price… leave the marketplace, that’s not my problem…! You choose to sell here…nobody forced you!

You are lucky that I post this thread, I could also shout up, leave envato, choose a competitor and do not buy anything without giving you the possibility of selling and make money…

33 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
sliilvia says

Hello pebas, I’m not saying that is easy to make a theme for the marketplace… but as I know and as you say…make a flexible theme require a lot of efforts so why make one which is the same as an other one? I think the difficult to make a theme which looks the same like others and the difficult to make a different-unconventional theme are the same or not? The only difference is the author creativity…

Yes, I’m not a guru but I’m free to buy and use them or not? I’m also able to customize and rebuild them but that require more time to understand how author build it instead to make a new one…if you looks the newest theme, 90% are onepage parralax… they looks all the same with some changes that you can reach modifying any other similar themes, so, one is the same as an other one if we think like you.

And remember… if you are here and you can make money here is because customers like me buy items, so please, listen and do not attack me as I could also be a customer of you… and if you think that 45 or more dollars for each theme licens is not a great price… leave the marketplace, that’s not my problem…! You choose to sell here…nobody forced you!

You are lucky that I post this thread, I could also shout up, leave envato, choose a competitor and do not buy anything without giving you the possibility of selling and make money…

I think I’d agree with pretty much everything you’ve said as a buyer myself. It’s actually quite hard currently to choose a theme, because as the previous poster said. They all look the same. One page parallax with massive font page full bleed image, etc.

Due to them all looking the same, bar colours and fonts, I end up going down the safe route and buying from list of popular items, as I assume at least I’ll get good support.

269 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Romania
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
icypixels says

Sometime ago, not too long ago, authors posted unique items. Those items sold really well. Now, due to the overflood of daily items, it is quite possible your one unique item is drowned between the rest and of course, that will result in no sales.

That’s why, most authors take the safe path and don’t take any chances.

1171 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

Hey Buyers :)

As someone with a varied (somewhat) portfolio, I’d like to offer my insights here. Whilst creative, original layouts can do well (see MyFolio) there’s also some that simply don’t do well (See WiderGrid, AccordInc)

The issue we have as authors is if a theme doesn’t sell, we don’t earn, so you’ve got to admit that the safe route makes the most sense for authors who have a living to earn, expenses etc.

Though I try to make my portfolio unique, I must admit I do like doing a more traditional theme where I know there will be decent sales, because hey, that’s what I’m here for :)

Perhaps if buyers were to delve into themeforest a little more (see experimental category) and really lay some sales out on the more creative, bizarre themes we have here, instead of buying 1000 copies of Avada a week, then there wouldn’t be as many similar themes here.

any thoughts? :)

3192 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

If you want something truly unique hire some one to create it for you.

Authors are here to make money and unique doesn’t sell well, but heres the kicker the themes that are unique (whether layout/features) theres 100 copies within weeks and it no longer becomes unique. Its been that way forever. Again if you want something crazy unique hire someone to create it custom for you if not then get use to using the same boring themes that sell thousands.

469 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
rayoflightt says

There are unique themes but “the same looking themes” are selling best and they take buyers attention because of number of sales that they have and then we have that “same looking themes” circle…

Also it is not the true that the best support is if author has elite status or “most popular” theme. You will get more attention as buyer from small authors because they have more time for support and they fight for buyer’s attention that way.

2 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
pauld123 says

I don’t like it when you see a particular provider posting 8 items when in fact they are all variations on a theme.

I wish there was a way to search for, say, open cart themes, that do not have massive changes to the admin. i.e. are just a theme.

I am so tired of having to learn some ‘live editor’ and live with all the issues rather than having pure code I can just go in and edit. A good example here is layer slider editors – so frustrating and difficult to circumnavigate when they have been hardcoded into modules and the admin.

Having said that, there are some fantastic, unique themes. It is a shame we have to work so hard to find them….

by
by
by
by
by
by