29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
dontangg says

I am trying to resolve a problem with my item causing browsers to crash! I never knew it was happening because I only tested it in a browser a couple of times and only crashes when it’s in a browser. My item is the Flash Spell Checker.

The browser crashes when you right-click for spelling suggestions… but not every time. Sometimes it has taken me 5 minutes of right-clicking to get it to crash (and my hand has started to ache).

Anyways, I have looked at my code for hours. I’ve tried changing things that I think may have caused it. I’ve tried commenting more and more out to try and find the problem and I’m still stumped.

Have any of you dealt with a problem like this before? Is there something I can do to at least find out what line of code is causing it to crash? Thanks for your help.

1955 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Emroni says

Crashes mostly happen because the script keeps repeating itself, so maybe there is a moment where the script does that, which causes a freeze (or a hang), resulting into a crash.

You could try to comment out the context menu, and then publish. After publish, add small bit of the context menu code (so remove the comment out part, for a small part), and publish again. Keep doing that, until you get the error again. Isolating the problem we call that. Hope that will work out for ya!

215 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Ziyad says

I’m guessing it’s because you’re looping through 40000 words to find the correct spelling. So it’s probably lagging your computer

29 posts
+2 more
dontangg says

Thanks for your input so far.

I’m already commenting out code more and more to try and find the problem and it is really tedious because of the fact that I cannot consistently replicate the crash. Sometimes it happens after a couple tries, other times it takes me 5 minutes of right-clicking to get a crash. Also, because of this, I can imagine that I might think I’ve found it, but in reality, I just didn’t try long enough. If this is all I can do though, I’ll keep trying.

@Ziyad – Good guess, but that is not the problem. First of all, I developed it in a much smarter way so that it only goes through a small number of words to find correct spellings. Going through the entire dictionary definitely would make it hang! Also, I have commented out the code that generates those suggestions, and it still crashes!

215 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Ziyad says
Thanks for your input so far.

I’m already commenting out code more and more to try and find the problem and it is really tedious because of the fact that I cannot consistently replicate the crash. Sometimes it happens after a couple tries, other times it takes me 5 minutes of right-clicking to get a crash. Also, because of this, I can imagine that I might think I’ve found it, but in reality, I just didn’t try long enough. If this is all I can do though, I’ll keep trying.

@Ziyad – Good guess, but that is not the problem. First of all, I developed it in a much smarter way so that it only goes through a small number of words to find correct spellings. Going through the entire dictionary definitely would make it hang! Also, I have commented out the code that generates those suggestions, and it still crashes!

Wow, I’m quite curious now. I might buy it to see how it works :P

by
by
by
by
by
by