46 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
MonkeeThemes says

hmmm, good you got the comments working… Not sure about the favourites bit… especially if you have NO extra customized JS script – if you have then it could be that which is interfering. It’s getting a bit unclear for me, I’d have to download BP (never worked with) to see what’s going on, so I’m not too sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Thanks a lot iamthwee, I thought it was a common issue or at least similar but it isn’t. I guess I’ll have to dig further in and do some debug on the ajax side on the wp-load.php or someone to post me on the right path could be nice too…

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
PresenceFilms says

We have the same problem with our site, http://www.journeyoftheseeds-themovie.com.

We have the current WP and the last BUDDYPRESS , (Not the new one and yes we tried an upgrade).

Our site uses a STUDIO ZEN WORDPRESS theme with BUDDYPRESS for its community and BBpress for its forums.

Oddly enough, even with BBpress deactivated, Groups and Forums continue to work

The key problems with our current system are:

1. The comment and favourite functions do not work in the ACTIVITY STREAM , GROUPS or FORUMS (Whether BBpress is turned on or off). If you attempt to COMMENT in these or to choose FAVORITE you will be sent to the Studio Zen’s theme’s 404 ERROR PAGE

2. In the WP- ADMIN - PLUGINS- BBPRESS SETTINGS it states under ARCHIVE SLUGS • Custom root slugs to prefix your forums and topics with. These can be partnered with WordPress pages to allow more flexibility. Forums base Possible BuddyPress conflict: Forums page

The activation of BBpress occasionally leads to the FORUMS PAGES losing their black background format and adopting the STUDIO ZEN THEME default template along with SIDEBAR .

This means the page is unreadable.

This does not happen, consistently.

I cannot know whether it will work from one day to the next.

WHAT STUDIO ZEN – THE WORDPRESS THEMES CREATOR HAD TO SAY Hi David,

Buddypress plugin will use it’s own template pages. Any template page not defined in it will be used from the theme. Please contact a developer on this – the solution you’re looking for will be by creating a template page for buddypress plugin or if the page is already defined in the plugin then it’d need modification. Thanks

This would seem to dump the problem at Buddypress’ feet. What to do?

276 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a competition
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
icypixels says

Hey MonkeeThemes,

Here’s some help on how I did two BuddyPress themes ;) and both work perfectly.

In the BP Default theme you’ll have a _inc folder where you’ll find an ajax.php and a global.js file.

Copy those in your theme, wherever you want, include ajax.php and enqueue global.js, in your theme and call them both conditionally only when BuddyPress is activated, so there’s no waste of resources.

Hope it helps.

3 posts
PresenceFilms says

Icy, thanks very much. I will try this but I have one question. When you say CONDITIONAL , I do not know what this means.

I can open up my THEME ’S CSS file and add those files to it at the bottom but I need clarification re what you mean by CONDITIONAL ? If this is a CODE to be added, can you give me a hint?

3 posts
PresenceFilms says

Hi Icy, OK here’s some weirdness.

There were no AJAX or GLOBAL .JS files in the BUDDYPRESS theme code.

Perhaps there in lies the problem. What do you think and how on earth did that happen if they are meant to be standard to the code?

276 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a competition
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
icypixels says

Hey there,

So here we go:
  • Download BuddyPress again from here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress/
  • After extracting, go to /buddypress/bp-themes/bp-default/_inc/ folder.
  • There you’ll have your ajax.php and global.js files. Copy those in your theme /includes folder or whatever folder structure you might use.
  • Conditionally load them by using the following function:
if ( !is_admin() && function_exists('bp_is_active') ) { //bp_is_active is a native BP function which tells you exactly what the name says - If BuddyPress is active or not.
    // Enqueue your styles and scripts here.
}

//Here you'll require_once the ajax file if BuddyPress is activated
if (function_exists('bp_is_active'))
    require_once(ICY_FILEPATH . '/includes/ajax.php' );

All this code should be in your functions.php file.

I hope you got the point now :)

by
by
by
by
by
by