22 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
stevecastaneda says

Hi guys! I’m in the process of reworking my application after the discovery of JQuery, and I have the urge to make the application javascript enabled only.

In other words, you MUST enable javascript in order to use the application.

The application is a contact manager that has quite a bit of advanced interface usability features that I can only accomplish with javascript, so it’s already almost a damn near necessity.

Do you guys think it’s too harsh for me to kick out users that don’t have it? Do most users have javascript enabled in this day and age?

Edit: After looking at my analytics for a more popular site I am the webmaster for, my users (which aren’t always tech savvy) – 97.96% have java enabled (that’s javascript right? I know java and javascript are two different things).

So if I have a members only (pay for membership) application, it shouldn’t be harsh making it javascript enabled only huh?

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Won a Competition
burningstonecold says

I dont think it would, as most general users wouldn’t know how to turn it off, and they would keep their computers up to date.

Well, as long as you mention that JS is required for the app to work upon signing up for the membership, this is just for legalities. I see no problem with it!

22 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
stevecastaneda says

That’s what I’m thinking; before them registering give them notice that it’s required. I can even have them do a “test” to see if it will work (just a simple javascript enabled test before finalizing the subscription to the application).

Besides; they get a two week free trial so if it doesn’t work, then can always cancel shrug.

JQuery is awesome though; really helps when creating user interfaces.

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

Java and javascript are two entirely different things, so that percentage from your stats is just for Java not javascript. However most users will have javascript enabled as it’s the default so you should be safe.

22 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
stevecastaneda says

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation on that contempoinc.

by
by
by
by
by
by