1345 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

I think we need a knowledge base article for bundled plugins.

I get lots of buyers asking for new versions of bundled plugins and how I should provide support for plugin bugs.

It would be great if I could point them to an official Envato thread.

3434 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

This is exactly why we shouldn’t be bundling plugins in with theme packages. Because when you distribute code with your theme, it becomes part of your product, and you do take on responsibility for that code.

Instead, themes authors should be able to recommend compatible plugins in a structured way, which customers can purchase individually – or as a discounted bundle with the theme (the revenue from which would be shared between theme and plugin author), but still obtain licenses for individual plugins.

The current system is just a race to stash the most premium plugins in a theme, and everyone loses.

66 posts WordPress Themes Like Never Before
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
Astoundify says

There are a multitude of reasons to not include plugins with a theme.

1. It is in violation of the ThemeForest submission guidelines to bundle plugins within themes that are a premium product. Look at what happened to the author “Sara_p” ThemeForest removed one of their themes from the marketplace because of this issue: http://themeforest.net/user/Sara_p/portfolio the theme is back but they had to remove all bundled plugins in their themes, read more here: http://coenjacobs.me/dont-buy-bundled-premium-plugins/

2. It adds extra complexity to people’s sites who may not need the functionality.

3. It makes code hard to maintain and quickly update.

When did themes become a bundle of plugins, images, fonts, etc? Why do a lot of ThemeForest authors just do it for money and not because they want to help the buyer and the WordPress community?

186 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
ThemeBuddies says

it became that way because Envato has forced authors to create unique themes that do fancy stuff. It would take forever to sit and create all this stuff. Why do that when there is a plugin that will do it for you. When you get your item rejected and the reason is that it doesn’t offer enough functionality to compete with the marketplace. The only solution is to add more functionality and this comes in the form of a plugin. Just one opinion.

1345 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+6 more
fuelthemes says

1. Its not a violation, if you look at the top 10 selling wordpres themes, they either have Revolution Slider or Layer Slider or both bundled.

You are exaggerating. I think its pretty simple, if the user wants support and continued update for a premium plugin, they can buy their own license.

It’s just the fact that I have to tell them this everytime, bugs me.

by
by
by
by
by
by