213 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
agusmu says

This morning I saw a tweet from a WordPress developer who talk about some ThemeForest themes that bundle some Premium GPL plugins. He posted a blog post with title “Do not buy WordPress themes that bundle premium plugins”. For ThemeForest reviewer, do you allow a ThemeForest author to bundle Premium GPL plugins on ThemeForest items now???

I love WordPress and I also do love ThemeForest, and I don’t like when WordPress community discuss a bad thing about ThemeForest again and again…

When we have to purchase extended licenses to get “in stock” licenses from CodeCanyon items to allow us to include it on our TF items, now it is strange when you can include Premium GPL plugins without “in stock” license…

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

I’m looking into this now, and will update you soon on the official word.

Also, remember, just because you “can” do something currently, does not mean you’re “allowed” to do it, nor does it mean you’ll be able to do it in the future.

1 post
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Netherlands
coenjacobs says

Just to clarify, the post wasn’t intended to be bashing ThemeForest. Like I explained to Japh, I actually like ThemeForest and the Envato community.

What the post is all about, is the issue with two specific themes that clearly crossed a border. It doesn’t matter if they are hosted on ThemeForest, or any other marketplace. Bottom line was that I wanted to express my dissatisfaction with how those themes were branded/developed.

6 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
kibourne says

I have issues with the way this was handled. These two themes were both themes which I had purchased because of their style and functionality. They were at one point approved by themeforest and then removed without any notification to the developer nor the MANY people who had purchased the theme with the intent of receiving ongoing updates through the Themeforest network as is a feature customers expect when buying a theme. This is extremely poor business practice on behalf of Themeforest. If you don’t like a theme after you have approved it, other steps should be made to ensure that those customers who spent money to purchase a theme are protected.

First, notification, is an absolute MUST.

Second, a change in policy should affect future themes and older themes should be grandfathered into a policy.

It is bad business practice to do this to both your customers and developers.

I’m no longer impressed with the concept I had once thought so highly of from Themeforest.

16 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
deckerweb says

This practice with bundling themes with various plugins should stop! NOW! It’s a disservice to buyers/ end users, especially in terms of support and license keys (think SaaS!).

Themes should be themes and not plugin bundles. Also, who needs 5 slider plugins for a theme? For example: a Gravity Forms developer license is about 200 $, distributing of this plugin is not allowed, also distributing of the license key is not allowed. What’s allowed is the unlimited USAGE of it. Themes here on ThemeForest are mostly about 55$. So, how in the world will theme author provide all these updates (and Gravity Forms has a good practice of often updates!) and the support (and yes, that is needed for a lot of reasons!).

I rather want my plugin support from the original developer (or team), not from a third-party source.

Again, themes should be themes, not bundles of a dozen plugins. This is bad practice and should be stopped!

62 posts WordPress Themes Like Never Before
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+3 more
Astoundify says

Completely agree @Deckerweb!

Bundling premium plugins with themes is complete Madness! The people getting screwed are the customers and the premium plugin authors, just so the theme author can make a “quick buck”.

Thank you Envato for putting a stop to this!

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Japh Staff says

I have issues with the way this was handled. These two themes were both themes which I had purchased because of their style and functionality. They were at one point approved by themeforest and then removed without any notification to the developer nor the MANY people who had purchased the theme with the intent of receiving ongoing updates through the Themeforest network as is a feature customers expect when buying a theme. This is extremely poor business practice on behalf of Themeforest. If you don’t like a theme after you have approved it, other steps should be made to ensure that those customers who spent money to purchase a theme are protected.

Second, a change in policy should affect future themes and older themes should be grandfathered into a policy.

I’m no longer impressed with the concept I had once thought so highly of from Themeforest.

Apologies for any inconvenience. We can’t continue to sell a theme with an issue like this, so we remove it temporarily while contacting the author to fix the issue, and then once fixed the theme will be available for sale again.

Assuming the theme author fixes the issue, you’ll continue to get the updates etc. that you were hoping for.

5752 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Apologies for any inconvenience. We can’t continue to sell a theme with an issue like this, so we remove it temporarily while contacting the author to fix the issue, and then once fixed the theme will be available for sale again.

Assuming the theme author fixes the issue, you’ll continue to get the updates etc. that you were hoping for.

Not sure if you understood kibourne’s exact point. ThemeForest approves something and later finds it buggy and the item immediately removed without considering the position of buyers who already purchased. Hard and fast rules supposed to not affect buyer side.

Can’t this process improved little bit so that first the marketplace requests author to fix things within 24 hours and if the author doesn’t fix it on time, then remove the item. The major issue for a buyer is when they are not allowed to download the item today which they purchased just yesterday (refunds are fine but that wont solve everything). Also for an author, removal of item for 1 whole day can ruin popularity time while the author was willing to fix things asap.

37 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
lidplussdesign says

Not sure if you understood kibourne’s exact point. ThemeForest approves something and later finds it buggy and the item immediately removed without considering the position of buyers who already purchased. Hard and fast rules supposed to not affect buyer side.

Can’t this process improved little bit so that first the marketplace requests author to fix things within 24 hours and if the author doesn’t fix it on time, then remove the item. The major issue for a buyer is when they are not allowed to download the item today which they purchased just yesterday. Also for an author, removal of item for 1 whole day can ruin popularity time while the author was willing to fix things asap.

+1

94 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
pixedelic says

Not sure if you understood kibourne’s exact point. ThemeForest approves something and later finds it buggy and the item immediately removed without considering the position of buyers who already purchased. Hard and fast rules supposed to not affect buyer side. Can’t this process improved little bit so that first the marketplace requests author to fix things within 24 hours and if the author doesn’t fix it on time, then remove the item. The major issue for a buyer is when they are not allowed to download the item today which they purchased just yesterday (refunds are fine but that wont solve everything). Also for an author, removal of item for 1 whole day can ruin popularity time while the author was willing to fix things asap.

+1!!

And, in my opinion, this is another sad story that could be treated in a different way: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/this-is-outrageous-they-deleted-my-file/100057

I think an author can make an honest error (without saying these authors made an error) and it isn’t right treating him as a thief. Sometimes a theme is very similar to another one even if nobody has copied anyone. The communication with the staff of Envato is always very hard, but in this case it seems to fight against the windmills…

by
by
by
by
by
by