155 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

I have issues with the way this was handled. These two themes were both themes which I had purchased because of their style and functionality. They were at one point approved by themeforest and then removed without any notification to the developer nor the MANY people who had purchased the theme with the intent of receiving ongoing updates through the Themeforest network as is a feature customers expect when buying a theme. This is extremely poor business practice on behalf of Themeforest. If you don’t like a theme after you have approved it, other steps should be made to ensure that those customers who spent money to purchase a theme are protected.

First, notification, is an absolute MUST.

Second, a change in policy should affect future themes and older themes should be grandfathered into a policy.

It is bad business practice to do this to both your customers and developers.

I’m no longer impressed with the concept I had once thought so highly of from Themeforest.

Apologies for any inconvenience. We can’t continue to sell a theme with an issue like this, so we remove it temporarily while contacting the author to fix the issue, and then once fixed the theme will be available for sale again.

Assuming the theme author fixes the issue, you’ll continue to get the updates etc. that you were hoping for.

I might not get it. How about themes that use Revolution Slider ? They all contain a zip file with this plugin so the buyer can install it and get the functionality from the demo, isn’t it ?(without the need to separately purchase the plugin) Is this against the rules even if the author bought the slider with extended license and got written permission from the plugin author that is ok to do this ?

214 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
agusmu says

I might not get it. How about themes that use Revolution Slider ? They all contain a zip file with this plugin so the buyer can install it and get the functionality from the demo, isn’t it ?(without the need to separately purchase the plugin) Is this against the rules even if the author bought the slider with extended license and got written permission from the plugin author that is ok to do this ?

That is perfectly okay because it is default rule in ThemeForest, Extended License + Author Permission.

The issue on this thread is different, the Premium GPL Plugins are from outside Envato Marketplace (from two different companies) and there are no written permission from plugins authors. You can read the detail here, http://coenjacobs.me/en/dont-buy-bundled-premium-plugins/

155 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

That is perfectly okay because it is default rule in ThemeForest, Extended License + Author Permission.

The issue on this thread is different, the Premium GPL Plugins are from outside Envato Marketplace (from two different companies) and there are no written permission from plugins authors. You can read the detail here, http://coenjacobs.me/en/dont-buy-bundled-premium-plugins/

Oh I see. Thanks alot for clarification :)

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
tns says

How many months have these themes been available? Has it really taken this long for Envato to make up its mind about premium plugins bundling? Or was Envato itself not aware that it was a problem, until the Gravity Forms folks finally figured it out themselves?

This little mess seems (to me) to be a poor reflection of the professionalism and QA standard at Envato much more than the theme creators being some hooligans trying to rip off premium plugin developers. The theme creators weren’t trying to hide anything, it was exactly as advertised. They submitted for code review and was approved (premium plugins included). The themes have been selling for ~half a year. If something’s not allowed, maybe try to discuss it with the theme creators in a timely fashion, not 6 months down the road when you’re caught with your pants down.

Cheers,

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
endervikin says

I purchased one of the themes in question and now that site is a complete mess. I probably should have known that a theme with that much functionality was too good to be true, but despite how much I have used WordPress, my understanding of it is still limited.

I ASSumed that a theme being offered by themeforest was playing by the rules.

As for themeforest’s role in all of this—If you want to be the “Wal-Mart” of Wordpress themes (one stop shop for a variety of items), you need to take some responsibility for what it is that you are offering. You can’t just point a finger at the author and say “it’s his fault”.

It is situations like this that give the GPL development community a bad name. There is no sense of ownership when the crap hits the fan.

I am not even going to ask for a refund for this theme. The mount of time, effort and most likely replacement plugins I will have to purchase for the site to get back up and running will make the theme price seem insignificant. Disappointing to say the least.

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
endervikin says

-

1 post
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+2 more
stealyourfocus says

I’m curious about the minutia of the issue here:

If the issue is that these themes included a GPL ‘Premium’ plug-in, and that practice is frowned upon and they were removed as the result of it, then why is Avada on the market?

Avada includes Woo’s Flexslider. Is that not a GPL ‘Premium plug-in?’

From their sales page: “Includes Beautiful FlexSlider plugin – $35 Value”

http://themeforest.net/item/avada-responsive-multipurpose-theme/2833226

I have nothing against Avada. I’m a developer, building a theme, and want clarification as-to the ‘rules of the road,’ so to speak. It seems strange that this discourse is happening over one theme and not another.

To be direct:

Primary question: What is the themeforest policy regarding the inclusion of GPL ‘Premium Plug-ins?’

Secondary question: If there is an exception to the rule that allows avada to use these, but not others, what is it? This is an important point.

I think transparency is important. I hope themeforest does too. I would like clarity on these matters. I think it would benefit others, too.

by
by
by
by
by
by