23 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+2 more
Lahdekorpi says

Hi! I’ve noticed the quick growth in business card templates here and I’m looking forward to release some of the designs (at this point mostly drawn on napkins) that I’ve got in archived for the future.

Now I’ve already made one that is almost finished but I’m looking for some advice and I’m hoping that I’m not the only one in a similar spot.

My main “problem” is that I hate Photoshop and do all my work on Gimp (except for some print-work) and there are two problems; text becomes static when porting to PSD format and the second one is that I’d like to apply some fancy effects that require either to convert the text into static or use features that doesn’t actually even exists (not even in PS).

Now these are the solutions that came to my mind:

• 1. Remove fancy effects, convert to PSD and re-make the text in PS
  • 2. Code a PHP -GD tool to apply the text and fancy effects
  • 3. Forget about the whole damn thing and sell the designs directly to my clients

• Now obviously the second option won’t work that well with this site and would confuse everybody. So I’d like some feedback on what Photoshop “edition, version or what ever” would actually be the best to go with (you know, the cheapest and for Mac). And should I even bother buying it just for that? Or is there any other solutions or tools that I just missed.

Thank you in advance for any tips!

Oh, and keep the “PS vs Gimp / Rest of the world” fight out of this thread.

2201 posts
    • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
    +4 more
    ArikB says

Any version of PS is Mac compatible, PS was designed for Mac originally. I think that you can get CS-CS2 a lot cheaper these days since CS4 is out by now. My suggestion would be to not go down to PS 7 , to me that’s like moving back a whole software generation.

As far as using fancy effects, re-think that concept. Clarity and communication are the main purpose of a card (and good design in general), the graphics can come later.

I’m not saying your work won’t be approved if you use fancy effects…unless ya know…you overkill on bevel or something like that. I’m just saying that you should consider your options before you pull out all the sfx tricks.

Another issue with “fancy effects” is that they might come out different than intended when printed.

23 posts
    +2 more
    Lahdekorpi says

The CS for Mac that I could find costs some ridiculous $400. I wouldn’t pay that much even for the latest version :D

Does anybody know any alternative to PS that supports the PSD format with the “dynamic” text? Even a Win only version would do…

ArkiB: What comes to the “fancy effects” I mostly mean minor things like reflections with gaussian blur and modified perspective and tweaked shadows. Probably not the best example, but take a look at my avatar.

2201 posts
    +4 more
    ArikB says

Might be my screen but I just see text in your avatar :P I don’t know of any alternatives however.

1125 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
    • Has referred 10+ members
    • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
    +5 more
    hansv says

You can also create text effects on PS like the reflection with gaussian without loosing the edit capabilities of the text…

23 posts
    +2 more
    Lahdekorpi says
    Might be my screen but I just see text in your avatar :P I don’t know of any alternatives however.
    You should really calibrate your screen(s) :D
    You can also create text effects on PS like the reflection with gaussian without loosing the edit capabilities of the text…
    To some extent yes, but some of the things I’d like to do need a static copy of the text layer.
    19 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
    • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
    +3 more
    AlexBeltechi says
    You should really calibrate your screen(s) :D

Actually, it’s not only Arik’s screen. I’m looking through someone else’s Dell laptop at the moment and the background color of your avatar is completely black, and the reflection is almost invisible. No other FX are visible.

I use PS CS3 . I don’t see why I would need CS4 at all at right now, so I’m content with what CS3 has to offer. I would encourage you to get CS3 over CS, but getting anything below CS is not worth it IMO .

23 posts
    +2 more
    Lahdekorpi says
    Actually, it’s not only Arik’s screen. I’m looking through someone else’s Dell laptop at the moment and the background color of your avatar is completely black, and the reflection is almost invisible. No other FX are visible.

Dells have magical “always right” colors? :) I actually just did calibrate with a Spyder3 Elite and I can clearly see the two different blurs behind the text, the reflection and the line over the text.

Anyways, I will really have to think about buying CS3 . It’s just that it seems so expensive in relation to the new features I get when comparing to Gimp…

Any ideas where I could safely get CS* used?

2201 posts
    +4 more
    ArikB says

I wish I had a spyder. I’m running an LG flat monitor with dvi output atm. It was horrible when I had analog.

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by