15 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
minimaldesign says

Hello!

I have a couple questions regarding business cards and print items in general @ graphicriver.

I’m currently working on a few print templates, business cards and stationnery.

I’ve noticed that almost 100% of vector business cards are uploaded as .psd and not .ai or .eps. I would like to know why.

I guess most of us professional graphic designers make print work in Illustrator and InDesign. Especially when producing graphics that includes text and vectors, why export to .psd ? Is that because the clients do not use anything else than Phoshop? Or is it because the graphicriver designers themselves doesn’t use the whole Adobe CS software?

If the client prints his card by himself on his laser or inkjet printer, I could understand they’d modify and print a .psd, but offset print requires the best possible file for print, hence the .ai file for vector work. If I went to my offset printer with a psd file he would definitely give me a weird look :)

Sorry, I’m new to graphicriver, I don’t exactly know who are the clients are (agencies? individuals?)

As for me, all my business cards are designed in Adobe Illustrator then exported to .eps. I could also have the option of exporting and uploading a .psd version of the file though. Let me know if you think it’d be useful to the graphicriver client.

Thanks for the help.

1845 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+8 more
ShermanJackson says

Hey there!

Photoshop also includes “Vector Shapes” and text. Also! most clients have decent photoshop knowledge which gives them the liberty to edit and play around with a design they have purchased.

Photoshop also allows for a designer to be more creative (even on business cards). Besides, many authors are more well versed with photoshop.

All business cards etc. designed in photoshop follow print specs. eg:. Bleeds, CMYK color mode etc. so having a print template in .psd is perfectly OK.

15 posts
minimaldesign says

Thanks. Understood.

So basicly, the client will more likely use Photoshop to edit the file, rather than Illustrator. It’s a bit tricky as Photoshop’s kerning is poor and it’s far easier to layout things in Illustrator than Photoshop (which is an image-oriented software after all).

I talked about this last night with a few graphic designer colleagues and they were also intrigued by graphicriver’s “photoshop everything” trend when I told them. Maybe all market places are like that. All I know is that if you work in the industry it’s a total no brainer, everything image oriented is made in Photoshop, vector stuff such as logos, cards, stationnery in Illustrator and multi-page documents (books, brochures) in InDesign.

Thanks. I’ll export .psd from Illustrator and see if everything is easily editable in Photoshop.

100 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
WillemoesDK says

Many of the fancy effects that people tend to make on business-cards on graphic river, won’t come out good at the local print house.

15 posts
minimaldesign says

@WillemoesDK : yes exactly. That’s why I don’t use any effects. Just pure vector and typography. There’s also a tendency to use “vintage” type effects such as grainy textures. They’re fine on a mockup to have an idea of the final product, but it should not be printed. Instead, use creative paper stocks. Maybe the clients don’t know about that.

1845 posts
+8 more
ShermanJackson says

A business card doesn’t require much text as a magazine or brochure would require. So it’s cool to design a PSD business card

572 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
BoxedCreative says

I can understand if business cards or maybe flyers to an extent are designed in Photoshop as it’s a small constraint but when it comes to magazines, newsletters, annual reports, or documentation etc then these should be designed in print management software such as InDeisgn. I think there’s more skill, thought, knowledge and experience goes into an InDesign file than Photoshop. Also my opinion is that the cost for InDeisgn files should have a better price threshold than Photoshop, but that’s another topic altogether!

15 posts
minimaldesign says

My opinion is whatever’s designed in Photoshop using typography is probably not going to be a well thought project in terms of layout and design rules, grids etc. Photoshop is simply not made for that. But if the client wants to edit their business card in PS and go to an offset printing house and get the weird looks, that’s their right… :)

1845 posts
+8 more
ShermanJackson says

I have printed business cards, wedding invitations designed in photoshop, they turned out perfect.

706 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+3 more
EliIsakov says

It’s mostly or ease of use to be honest. Some of the clients haven’t even heard of Illsutrator, hence they can’t edit if only .EPS/.AI file is included. .PSD just gives them that freedom…and most people just purchase photoshop rather than the Full CS Package.

by
by
by
by
by
by