769 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
EladChai says

My opinion is whatever’s designed in Photoshop using typography is probably not going to be a well thought project in terms of layout and design rules, grids etc. Photoshop is simply not made for that. But if the client wants to edit their business card in PS and go to an offset printing house and get the weird looks, that’s their right… :)

You sound SO oldschool.

Get out of your bubble mate, you got it all wrong.

I print biz cards with many effects and they come out perfectly.

And TBH , simple vector biz card style just won’t sell that good and IMO doesn’t catch the eye at all.

69 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Emil_J says

It’s only in the marketplace… Many reasons have already been said, but I’d say also that it’s extremely difficult if not impossible to work with spot inks in PS, for example. There’s nothing wrong with PS templates in markets or “eco system” like these where simplicity is a must, but there’s no questioning how things work in the industry.

9 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Lebanon
Swagster says

From the clients perspective photoshop is much easier to work with and to modify.

15 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
minimaldesign says

My opinion is whatever’s designed in Photoshop using typography is probably not going to be a well thought project in terms of layout and design rules, grids etc. Photoshop is simply not made for that. But if the client wants to edit their business card in PS and go to an offset printing house and get the weird looks, that’s their right… :)

You sound SO oldschool.

Get out of your bubble mate, you got it all wrong.

I print biz cards with many effects and they come out perfectly.

And TBH , simple vector biz card style just won’t sell that good and IMO doesn’t catch the eye at all.

It’s not really an “old school” thing to be professional, just the reality of printing in a certain environment. I don’t know if you went to a design school or not, but in the professional world : effects = superficial = lack of pure creativity.

Photoshop can’t handle PMS . Which for business cards and stationnery a big problem, especially if you print pantones on creative paper stocks.

If you design something in Photoshop, when you go to the printer, they’ll raster your work, the end result is CMYK printing, not spot colors. Which means much lower quality. Again, if you have the eye for that kind of detail, the difference is huge.

But I totally understand the marketplace now, thanks for all the comments. Basicly: The client will buy catchy graphics and colors on the marketplace and can only judge by watching the preview images, hence the huge amount of effects used on the previews, even if they don’t end up on prints. Looks good on screen and that’s what matters, probably not when offset printed in PMS but it doesn’t matter because the client doesn’t care or know what it is.

The difference I see between working with clients or selling on the marketplace is that working with clients, you usually follow the project from start to finish, you can’t BS them with monitor quality images full of effects. They want to see the real thing, the quality (at least my clients does). On the marketplace it’s different since the clients buys an almost ready to print item for a few $ and he’s then responsible for what happens next when he goes to the printer.

It’s a matter of thought and I wonder which direction I should go, as far as creating new material for the marketplace. Let’s share ideas :)

69 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
Emil_J says

^ amen :)

15 posts
minimaldesign says

^ amen :)

:P

1844 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
ShermanJackson says

Bottom line is if you wanna earn money here you should do what others do (types of formats etc.) otherwise you will be stranded.

15 posts
minimaldesign says

Bottom line is if you wanna earn money here you should do what others do (types of formats etc.) otherwise you will be stranded.

Yes, thank you so much for the information. I was a bit into an unknown territory. Happy Easter!

152 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+4 more
loswl says

There is an option to upload Illustrator files, you can do that if you wish. I have seen many business cards done in Illustrator that catches the eye and are very memorable without all the Photoshop effects. So if you think your files are good enough for the marketplace, you should upload it in Illustrator, people buy T-Shirts in Eps on the Marketplace, I don’t see why they would not buy Business Cards in AI or Eps. You have to weigh the benefits of both files and decide if you want to do Photoshop files or Illustrator files. :)

22 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
bedistinct says

I’m a big fan of Illustrator and vector in general. I like that you can size it to anything (I was employed at a University for several years and I’d be designing things intended for postcard size that they’d want blown up to be a poster).

With that being said, I think basic Photoshop business cards are alright. I’ve used Photoshop for several clients and even one of my own past cards. There are definitely times where you’d wanna use Illustrator though. Here’s a circular business card I recently made in Illustrator(and hope it gets approved!).

http://i42.tinypic.com/orphkk.jpg

by
by
by
by
by
by