115 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
WilQ5 says

Hello guys i was wondering around and thought would it be legal to buy other author portfolio ? Lets think about it, for example if author would like to sell his portfolio he would price it depending on his items and the money it generates . How many of you would be interested in buying a videohive or themeforest portfolio or maybe selling ?

By the way i,m not selling :D

229 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Latvia
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
placdarms Reviewer says

Not sure about the legal issues, but I guess I would be willing to sell mine for no less than average monthly income x 60 months (5years) or so. That’s a lot of money, but I would be able to invest that money in places where it would generate similar monthly income and i’m not selling my creativity, so any time I could start a new account and grow my portfolio again.

115 posts
  • Exclusive Author
WilQ5 says

Yes thats the whole point you sell only your work as a product . Maybe this could be concidered as a new buisiness here in envato or even people would build they’r portfolios for sell . I would like to hear some more oppinions. And how much some of you would like to get pay’d for it .

848 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Beta Tester
+5 more
MotionRevolver Reviewer says

Not sure about the legal issues, but I guess I would be willing to sell mine for no less than average monthly income x 60 months (5years) or so. That’s a lot of money, but I would be able to invest that money in places where it would generate similar monthly income and i’m not selling my creativity, so any time I could start a new account and grow my portfolio again.

I was thinking the same exact thing, Filips. I’d be willing to sell mine for about the same, although if the MotionRevolver brand was to be included, the price would be a bit higher.

EnchantedStudios
EnchantedStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
58 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
EnchantedStudios says

Wouldn’t you have to upload everything again, under a new name?

Sounds like a headache :confused:

1541 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Russian Federation
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
AndrVlad says

Wouldn’t you have to upload everything again, under a new name? Sounds like a headache :confused:

Agree. Imagine If someone purchase portfolio and then get rejected 20-30% of the items, probably older ones.

If you consider portfolio as a business to sell then based on the nature of this business 5x annual profits looks very unreasonably expensive.

In reality(not the author wish) I think good price is about 2x (3x as maximum if portfolio is really fresh, unique and diverse).

Best Regards, Andrey

22 posts
  • India
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Exclusive Author
comp_ says

Its a good thing to buy a portfolio, but seller wont loss anything because (They has unlimited creativity and confidence) so If they loss their portfolio then they can create N number of portfolios like…..!

who don’t have creativity and confidence they only want to buy portfolio (others creativity) They thinking to get easily make money with others creativity. But those wont get life time its temporary..

But if I have a chance I really want to buy one of themeforest portfolio :)

229 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Latvia
+5 more
placdarms Reviewer says

Imagine If someone purchase portfolio and then get rejected 20-30% of the items, probably older ones.

What I meant is not to sell files in the portfolio. But the whole thing. In my case it would mean change user name, disconnect the reviewer/admin privileges and sell my password to a new owner who fully operates the existing account with all the badges, commision ammount, followers, recognizability, file ratings, sales amount etc. That’s the only way for buyer to estimate the future income and purchased value. Selling just the rights for files isn’t worth much if they are dragged out of existing ecosystem where they have specific role on the marketplace, existing referral links, search rankings etc.

But since I’m a staff I have to state that I have no idea about the legal issues with this and it’s only theoretic discussion from an author standpoint.

22 posts
  • India
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Exclusive Author
comp_ says

I have no idea about the legal issues with this and it’s only theoretic discussion from an author standpoint.

Yeah Its really wont workout have so many legal issues behind it .. and it’s only theoretic discussion from an author standpoint.

7129 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

I’m pretty sure this is not allowed and if there’s no rule in the agreement legal mumbo jumpo, envato lawyers should add it.

From a logical point of view, when you create an account you are the partner who signed the legal contract with envato.

you can’t sell your account without envato knowing this because then the new owner didn’t signed the contract with envato.

Not entirely the same but the following example may show up better what I’m trying to say:

Is like going to a bank open an account on your name then sell it to some random buyer on ebay. When he knocks at the bank door asking to use your account he will be kicked out, the only reason being that he is not the person who signed the contract with them. (as fun fact, there are some banks in certain countries that don’t care about this)

by
by
by
by
by
by