4670 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says
Personally , if Envato would give me 100$ and tell me : You have 15 min to spend it on the Marketplace .. I think I would go directly in your portfolio DS , and other top author portfolio because I know that they are the best place to buy something even if I don’t need that stuff right now , you follow me ?

I don’t agree, I don’t think buyers just buy from top authors for the sake of buying something with their left over money… they buy something that is good, and they start at the popular files page… if the file is good, they’ll buy it – regardless who the author is… The reason why buyers buy from top authors, is because they make good files more often hence why they’re top authors ;)

2952 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says
Personally , if Envato would give me 100$ and tell me : You have 15 min to spend it on the Marketplace .. I think I would go directly in your portfolio DS , and other top author portfolio because I know that they are the best place to buy something even if I don’t need that stuff right now , you follow me ?
I don’t agree, I don’t think buyers just buy from top authors for the sake of buying something with their left over money… they buy something that is good, and they start at the popular files page… if the file is good, they’ll buy it – regardless who the author is… The reason why buyers buy from top authors, is because they make good files more often hence why they’re top authors ;)

You misunderstood me .. I never said that popular author only sell stuff with left over money.

I totally agree that popular author create great file. :)

68 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
sidigrid says

Even i think they should display the lower price initially and later tell the buyers that they will have to pay $2 more if they dont want to deposit..hmmmthat would give buyers a good perspective of the product price..

Otherwise buyers would initally view at price thats $2 more than what we can sell it for..hmm..

4670 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says
You misunderstood me .. I never said that popular author only sell stuff with left over money.

No I didn’t think that’s what you were saying…. you said if someone gave you $100 to spend in 15 minutes, you said you would go straight to the top sellers… I was saying that buyers don’t think like that… they don’t go straight for the top sellers, they buy whatever is good, regardless who the author is… but it just so happens that those good files are sometimes made by top sellers.

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
RimmonTrieu says

pk, mpc and authors who have files in popular list won’t suffer any significant drop since you still have got extra exposure there but thing doesn’t come easy with other author though. Anyway it’s just my guess I don’t know for sure what’s the reason for sale dropping. It’s holiday time and I won’t be so serious about this, will see how it goes in January and take action then :)

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says
pk, mpc and authors who have files in popular list won’t suffer any significant drop since you still have got extra exposure there but thing doesn’t come easy with other author though. Anyway it’s just my guess I don’t know for sure what’s the reason for sale dropping. It’s holiday time and I won’t be so serious about this, will see how it goes in January and take action then :)

Well, can be, absolutely… then the holidays will bring less sales to everybody for sure… good luck everybody and merry christmas! :-D

4908 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

The winter months are always the slowest. I have seen better than normal sales since the buy now feature got implemented.

900 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
CheshireCat says

I think time is needed here, trying to conduct a comparrison on how/if sales have been influenced by this new feature during the winter months is just crazy.

Besides, some people are reporting record sales, I really dont see a trend. You have a 4 line new files homepage now, lots of new hot authors breaking out of the woodwork, maybe its time to face facts and see that theres just more competition these days, the gold has to be shared amongst more kings. Its always nice to have a scapegoat around but I really dont think your ‘buy it now’ feature is it.

23 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Reintroduce says
I have mixed feelings about the buy now feature… I try to look at this with a completely objective view, and also from a current, and new, buyer’s perspective…then from a business owner’s perspective. While i think having the buy now feature is a great idea, i think that charging a surcharge to enable purchasing a product has the potential to become a “poor judgement call”, and could be on behalf of any company in Envato’s position. Then again, it could also become the missing piece to the user experience that many wanted. You never will really know until you try it out and analyze the results, which they are doing now. Will it net Envato more revenue? Sure, cause people would rather pay $2 more than pay $17 more for a $3 item… But overall, as a business owner, i would NEVER want my customers to feel that they had to pay $2 extra for a product because they want to buy it without dropping a deposit in my pocket. Right now its nice for buyers of smaller ticket items to have a “cheaper” way to buy them, but lets get real here. It is a surcharge. You can sugar coat it all you want but a surcharge is a surcharge.

But then you have that group of customers that honestly dont mind the extra $2, and you must factor that into the equation. How many are out there that feel this way? This makes testing the new plan a must. With a 28% increase, it is obviously filling a need. But the reason i stray from the idea of adding the $2 surcharge is because if i had never been to graphic river before, and they were requiring me to pay an additional $2 for a $3 graphic, i would hit the x in the top corner of my browser. It has the possibility of “looking like” a quick grab at a few extra bucks per buyer, which can easily be taken the wrong way buy newcomers. This gives the decision a bit of extra risk. I’m a business owner myself, and these are the types of things i think about prior to making similar decisions. I like that Collis started this thread because it shows how much he thinks about all of this and how much he wants to listen to his customers. You really cant do anything other than applaud that type of community interaction.

All in all, every company has decisions to make, and the case will always be that some will love the decisions and some will hate them, and to some it will not make a difference. It is up to the admin to study the effects of the decision, evaluate the need to continue or drop the new policy, and go from there. This is something that i think Envato will end up doing very well. If i had any advice to give, it would be this: If your organization is not hurting for revenue and you want to look your very best to current and new customers, add a shopping cart, ditch the $2 surcharge, and focus on giving frequent buyers a break vs making them pay more for convenience. That’s my 2 pennies on this subject.

I wish the best to everyone, including the sellers and buyers on the Envato network!

Cheers all!

2671 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Chuckanucka says

erm.. yes but putting prices up $2 and losing 28% of deposits to pre pay, will have some sort of effect. These are not small changes!

Personally I don’t think you should introduce buy it now without a shopping cart or bulk discounts. Seems like only the buyer wins at the moment.

by
by
by
by
by
by