• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says
Besides, some people are reporting record sales, I really dont see a trend. You have a 4 line new files homepage now, lots of new hot authors breaking out of the woodwork, maybe its time to face facts and see that theres just more competition these days, the gold has to be shared amongst more kings. Its always nice to have a scapegoat around but I really dont think your ‘buy it now’ feature is it.

Yes I agree over time competition will get tougher and it will be harder sell, but that does not explain a sudden sales drop in a few days that some authors are reporting conveniently around the same time this new feature was implemented, so it has to be related. Fact is those with larger portfolios see fluctuations at bigger degrees.. so if top sellers are noticing a dip, there might be a problem. Yes some authors are not reporting a dip or are having an increase in sales over this time but that could be due to other factors, like smaller sales volumes that don’t fluctuate as much, or a newly released file that is doing well. I’m just saying that if quite a few top sellers are experiencing an unusual dip at the same time who otherwise have fairly stable sales, then it has to be all related to the new site changes and not anything else.

But lets see how this plays out, perhaps over time it will stabilise or something ;)

4359 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says
erm.. yes but putting prices up $2 and losing 28% of deposits to pre pay, will have some sort of effect. These are not small changes! Personally I don’t think you should introduce buy it now without a shopping cart or bulk discounts. Seems like only the buyer wins at the moment.

+1 Glad we can agree on this issue lol :) Increasing the displayed price is a big change, and we should proceed with caution, a dip is not something you want to see on Envato’s overall sales data, then you need to click the ‘undo’ button and rethink your strategy ;)

1479 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
+5 more
collis Staff says

Hey guys!

I’m always interested reading through these threads to hear everyone’s opinions and input. We certainly never want author’s to have a dip in sales, or to drive away customers. But we’re very confident that overall this change will be for the benefit of the marketplaces.

For now I think some time is needed to let it all settle in. We’ve got more features for Buy Now planned for next year, this is the first of four phases that we are introducing, and of course like all our plans they are meant to profit authors, buyers and envato together.

In relation to @Freeloadthis, I don’t want to totally give away our plans, but I will say that many of the highest traffic referrers to the marketplaces are from sites with free files – e.g. Brusheezy, qvectors and so on. I think people often browse free stuff and then think “hmmm, I can’t find what I need, I’ll try GraphicRiver”. So we aim to help that process along :-)

We certainly do plan to be the leader in digital marketplaces, and we take a very long term view of how to get there. Authors are our most pivotal component, which is why the team always stops in to read over what’s happening on the forums, make sure we know how authors are doing and how they are feeling about changes we make.

It doesn’t always mean we get to do what the forums ask for – though sometimes that would make life easier :-D But it certainly is a key part of our thought process in making choices.

For now, the Buy Now system will stay as it is, we’ll wait until the first few months of 2010 to assess the next step. We’ll be rolling out some UI upgrades over Dec and again in late Jan. We’ll also be introducing a shopping cart in February (if things go to plan).

Please feel free to continue the discussion, and of course I’ll be back to check in again!

In the meantime I have to go prepare the newsletter as I’m running late today – eek :-D

4359 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Alright Collis let’s see how the new ‘buy now’ feature plays out over time. It was introduced in a month which is slower than other months so we can’t speculate too much on the fluctuations. But give or take a few months and we’ll see what kind of impact this new feauture has on the marketplace, hopefully for the better! :)

659 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
luckykind says
Alright Collis let’s see how the new ‘buy now’ feature plays out over time. It was introduced in a month which is slower than other months so we can’t speculate too much on the fluctuations. But give or take a few months and we’ll see what kind of impact this new feauture has on the marketplace, hopefully for the better! :)

( hell has frozen yogurt )

:P

1479 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
+5 more
collis Staff says

Thanks DS, and do keep us posted if you feel earnings are still sliding, I keep an eye on top author earnings, but not nearly as well as the authors themselves!

In the meantime I’ve put into production some changes to the item page I think you’ll be very happy with :-) Should roll out in the next couple of weeks!!

1312 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
LGLab says

For now, the Buy Now system will stay as it is, we’ll wait until the first few months of 2010 to assess the next step. We’ll be rolling out some UI upgrades over Dec and again in late Jan. We’ll also be introducing a shopping cart in February (if things go to plan).

Isn’t the current price display going to be an issue with the shopping cart though? I mean surely the extra $2 will only be added to the total amount of the cart, not on each item, won’t it? (assuming a user still doesn’t deposit to pay for the cart’s content)

Won’t user be under the impression that each item would have a surcharge of $2?

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says
In relation to @Freeloadthis, I don’t want to totally give away our plans, but I will say that many of the highest traffic referrers to the marketplaces are from sites with free files – e.g. Brusheezy, qvectors and so on. I think people often browse free stuff and then think “hmmm, I can’t find what I need, I’ll try GraphicRiver”. So we aim to help that process along :-)

Yeah, it is true that such sites may drive traffic, but there are also dozen of free wordpress themes and flash files blogs and providers…why dont you try to publish some site related to free wordpress themes, html templates, psd site layouts, flash components, flash site templates and flash files etc.? Such a site for freebies that resamble items of ThemeForest and ActiveDen will also drive huge traffic…Why exactly a site for freebies resambling GraphicRiver items? :-) ...do you maybe fear that TF or AD authors will jump on your neck the minute you do this?

I am telling you 1 thing…dont think that GR authors are less important for the marketplaces as a whole…you anger them once and you lose. The freebies site is very bad idea…this is what i am trying to say. :-)

25 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
inwers says

Yep .. great improvement … keep going in the right direction…

by
by
by
by
by
by