40 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
bitsquare says

Hi. I want to know this: If a PSD template author agrees to sell me rights to convert and sell the theme in other categories on Themeforest, will it be fine with Themeforest? By this I don’t mean to have any partnership with the original author. Simply put, I would pay an upfront payment and that would be it for him. Is this allowed?

Next, how much do you guys think would be a standard price range to buy such rights for one PSD theme, so that only I have the right to develop and sell it on any category (HTML+WP+Magento)? $800-$1000, or $1000-$1500, or $1500+?

1688 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

Yes. As for the price, it depends, from $500(extended license) to $5000 or even more, depends on the quality of the theme.

407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
PaddyTaylor says

Sorry duplicate

407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
PaddyTaylor says

First off you will want to get the agreement in writing so you have evidence.

In terms of cost – it depends on what platforms you plan to develop it for. I would expect any sensible PSD author to realise that and price it accordingly, weather it is a per platform buy out fee or a one off for all platforms.

At a guess (and it really is a guess!) an average PSD extended license is around $500 and for a WP or Magento etc its closer to 2K, if you assume a few hundred sales of each then you will recoup that easily so I would suggest the 1500 + bracket probably a bit more.

It all comes down to you and the original author but this is probably exactly why most agreements involve partnering on files. Good luck

40 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
bitsquare says

Thanks. What do you think should be a good price range if the PSD theme is a generic Portfolio Corporate theme, and I want the rights to sell it in just HTML and WP categories?

by
by
by
by
by
by