659 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
luckykind says

It’s in our hands to motivate people to upgrade their machines and soft.
So I disagree here. Making people upgrade their machines because of software requirements is anti-moral, index of laziness, lack of skills and even smells like cartel.

Which is exactly what IE9 is doing to Windows XP users…

Soooooo… you’re all for not supporting IE browsers, right? ;P

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

If they’re on company computers, they shouldn’t be on the Internet that much anyway. :-P

But in all seriousness, it’s my personal decision not to support it. Those who want to still can, as you can support IE6 and IE5 and IE1 for all anyone cares—you’re just limiting your creativity and hindering the use of powerful tools such as CSS3 and HTML5 which will result in loss of a LOT more sales than not supporting a browser whose market share is under 5%.

And on the other side of the coin, if you code things right, IE7 won’t look that bad in the first place so you won’t need to fix that much. For me, just finding a way to test older browsers is enough of a turn off not to support it.

327 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
PaulWinslow says

you’re just limiting your creativity and hindering the use of powerful tools such as CSS3 and HTML5 which will result in loss of a LOT more sales than not supporting a browser whose market share is under 5%.

Mate… seriously… have you never heard of progressive enhancement? That’s not rhetorical either I’m actually asking, have you seriously never heard of it? ‘Cause I genuinely can’t believe you hold that view over supporting dated versions of browsers.. you seriously think that by supporting them you can’t still serve cutting-edge tools to capable browsers?

You could throw all the bells and whistles of CSS3 , HTML5 and the kitchen sink into your theme and STILL provide fallbacks for less capable browsers. I’d suggest you go read a book on it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designing-Progressive-Enhancement-Building-Everyone/dp/0321658884/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300640968&sr=8-1

p.s Also, there are bloody loads of ways to test your code in older versions of browsers very quickly and easily… that’s not an excuse.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/06/04/cross-browser-testing-a-detailed-review-of-tools-and-services/

157 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
ThemeFields says

It’s in our hands to motivate people to upgrade their machines and soft.

Exactly – “motivate”. But… upgrade their machines?

I can’t play newly released computer games, because of high hardware requirements. And it’s not like developers couldn’t make it so that their games require 1GB RAM instead of 4GB, 1.2GHz CPU instead of 3.2GHz and 2GB HDD instead of 16GB. Even now I’m being taught in university (I learn C++) that “with modern computers, optimizing isn’t that important anymore”.

Call of Duty 1 or Splinter Cell are beautiful games and they require… 700MHz CPU , 128MB RAM , 32MB Video RAM , 1400MB HDD .

So I disagree here. Making people upgrade their machines because of software requirements is anti-moral, index of laziness, lack of skills and even smells like cartel.

You get me wrong mate :] It will be suicide to tell each of your client… “you have to upgrade your machine because xxx is not working correctly. I was thinking that if there is someone who is responsible for machines, software etc in company, he should be aware that his company is using 10 years old browser…

Of course i exclude big companies where every update is very expensive and have to be planed weeks or months before… but do we design for such people? I think not… or i hope so :]

Anyway we are supporting all browsers except IE6 , Safari 4 and Chrome 4.

1525 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
webdesignerart says

Friends one thing let you know a professional webdesigner is the main quality is that he/his have to defeat cross browsers issue, and for IE7 it just like baby devil and i always controlled my design in IE7 with no any lots of hard work so would like to say plz don’t neg-late IE7 it will heart your sales.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

you’re just limiting your creativity and hindering the use of powerful tools such as CSS3 and HTML5 which will result in loss of a LOT more sales than not supporting a browser whose market share is under 5%.

Mate… seriously… have you never heard of progressive enhancement? That’s not rhetorical either I’m actually asking, have you seriously never heard of it? ‘Cause I genuinely can’t believe you hold that view over supporting dated versions of browsers.. you seriously think that by supporting them you can’t still serve cutting-edge tools to capable browsers?

You could throw all the bells and whistles of CSS3 , HTML5 and the kitchen sink into your theme and STILL provide fallbacks for less capable browsers. I’d suggest you go read a book on it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designing-Progressive-Enhancement-Building-Everyone/dp/0321658884/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300640968&sr=8-1

p.s Also, there are bloody loads of ways to test your code in older versions of browsers very quickly and easily… that’s not an excuse.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/06/04/cross-browser-testing-a-detailed-review-of-tools-and-services/

Please don’t assume that I do not know what you are talking because I do—I simply don’t think it’s worth it when you are dealing with a 5% market share. Depending on how “damaged” a site is in IE7 , it’s not always worth fixing for a measly few additional sales, ESPECIALLY when it is not required.

If you need those extra few sales, go for it. In the meantime, I will be spending my time improving my skills in new and innovative ways to design and develop while you are sharpening your IE7 -fixing skills which will be worthless as soon as the browser dies out.

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
VisualSharing says

loss of a LOT more sales than not supporting a browser whose market share is under 5%.

Just to note that 5% users who can’t open your website means: for every 10,000 people, 200 can’t open it (and buy your product) – it’s not that small.

And on the other side of the coin, if you code things right, IE7 won’t look that bad in the first place so you won’t need to fix that much.

+1

962 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
EireStudio says

Please don’t assume that I do not know what you are talking because I do—I simply don’t think it’s worth it when you are dealing with a 5% market share. Depending on how “damaged” a site is in IE7 , it’s not always worth fixing for a measly few additional sales, ESPECIALLY when it is not required.

If you need those extra few sales, go for it. In the meantime, I will be spending my time improving my skills in new and innovative ways to design and develop while you are sharpening your IE7 -fixing skills which will be worthless as soon as the browser dies out.

+1,000,000

327 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
PaulWinslow says

In this case – can I see your analytical data that you’ve obviously gathered that reflects sales digits in correlation with support for IE7 ?

And can I also see your global study on browser marketshare? Or are you just looking at W3C ’s personal stats, in which case bare in mind their intended target audience (web developers) and have a think about which browsers these users are bound to be using when visiting their site (which is how they collect their data, obviously.) Go and have a sit down and a good think about it, mate.

I will look forward to seeing your research :)

327 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
PaulWinslow says

@AlexPascal,

I really hope you understand eventually how ignorant your views are on web development. It is not your job to dictate to web users what they should and shouldn’t be doing, or how they should be doing A or B. There are so many variables that already do this – one I already mentioned earlier, being that some companies do not have the luxury of choosing which browsers they fancy using due to the machines they have to work on.

Stop being so ignorant. Open your eyes. We are not dictators.

by
by
by
by
by
by