101 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
pjtops says

I always switch off codecanyon frame in preview mode and check src code of item, and view with firebug.

I look for clean code, where authors have taken the time to comment each sector where appropriate, this leads me to think if thy can be bothered to explain, then they understand and care about its use.

I also find authors from europe are whizz with js, and those from asia are a whizz with php.

Interesting.
What about minified/protected source code in live the previews? Would that stop you from buying an item, and do you find many authors doing this?

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

I always switch off codecanyon frame in preview mode and check src code of item, and view with firebug.

I look for clean code, where authors have taken the time to comment each sector where appropriate, this leads me to think if thy can be bothered to explain, then they understand and care about its use.

I also find authors from europe are whizz with js, and those from asia are a whizz with php.

Interesting.
What about minified/protected source code in live the previews? Would that stop you from buying an item, and do you find many authors doing this?

Most authors, provide a minified file like site.com/js/file.min.js

However they also have uploaded site.com/js/file.js also !

As a developer minified files dont bother me, we dont use them. In fact we crunch our own files with collated js files into one larger .min file.

So that wouldnt stop me buying, plus i have browser extensions for decrypting js files that authors have minifed, but thats just for being utterly nosey. I am a prolific buyer of client and server side scripts, so its just my type of house keeping.

What amazes me tho is still the amt of files that load js files in head.

As for protected src code files, there is no such thing for client side files. So that isnt an issue, moreover i like to see good segragation, ie not buy something that has one huge style.css file, that has more to do with the demo than what i really need, so more often than not we totally rebuild an item we buy to fit in with our remit.

I absolutely detest tho, the framework style of folderisation .. Assets folders with assetts folders nested within etc, its ridiculously painful to work with.

40 posts
  • Netherlands
nokiko says

I buy quite a lot here, if I have a project I look here for items that I could use or modify for my project as the main reason but also some other reasons as well.

I have a few authors that I just buy each item they release because of the quality of the work. Even if I don’t have a project to use it for yet but the quality of the work I am accustomed to I am sure that i will find a use for it soon and this way I support that author to keep on making great items

If there is an item from a new or established author that is quite unique and original I just buy it to support the author even if I don’t have a use for it yet. As Orman Clark mentioned on twitter a lot of the themes lately look alike. Of course an author wants to make money so he creates what sells best so he looks at others best sellers. But ff ther are new authors that do it differently I support this buy buying the item.

40 posts
  • Netherlands
nokiko says

Pressed button too soon

Technically I look for

Well commented code. Even if I don’t have to go in the code of scripts I always check if the code is well commented. If this is the case that another proof for me that the author spend time on his product.

HTML themes should also be well commented. These will be used in various CMS systems so it should be easy for me to modify it and not having to go deep in the code and find out for myself where each item block starts or ends.

Documentation is a pre. Every feature should be well documented. If I can not find documentation in the live preview in a file that I am considering buying that I always ask the author to send a screenshot or a few pages so I can see how the documentation is setup. its not that I can;t code ur understand code but i don’t want to spend unnecessary time in understanding how it works.

Of course there should be a perfect demo. If you want to win me over in buying an item I have to see how versatile something is especially in jQuery plugins if you have a basic a normal and a very different example this is proof enough for me to buy it.

Another thing im looking for in themes is a credit section on the item page / part of the deliverable. Which external scripts are used but also which images are used. Sometime I would like to reuse some of the images myself and i would like to know where i can buy each of them.

30 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
TwoJStudios says

Well that is very surprising you did not once mention the actual product’s importance, just easy to use and install, very good to see how one consumer thinks.

The products importance? I am not sure I understand what you mean here. If I am looking at the live preview of an item, then it is in a very short list to be either bought, or book marked for later purchase so I would have to say the item I am looking at, at the time, is very important (to me at least). I have a bad habit of buying items, and never using them. Every item I buy ends up teaching me something, so I guess in the long run it is not wasted money.

Everyone works so hard here to provide great items, and the prices just cannot be matched. I have on numerous occasions bought an item more then once just to help support the author. I cannot seem to keep myself away from Envato market places.

1469 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

Those are all great feedback , thanks.
I also wish I knew how many of the current members of marketplaces are authors and/or buyers.

Dear purchasers , we want to hear from you , please keep this thread alive ! :)

490 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
wopethemes says

nice thread and many great feedback!

10 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Belgium
MagentaManiacs says

Well, we check the new themes daily to keep a good overview of what’s happening out here.

Second, when we need to buy a new theme, we check the ones that look suitable and then look at the rating. We don’t buy themes with less than 4 stars, yet we keep in mind that when only two people gave stars, this isn’t something to rely on.

Third we run the demo through a couple of tests to see how it reacts on devices, to see if everything works fast and is well programmed.

Fourth, when we find a good starred theme that looks and works the way we want, we head over to the comment section to read all comments, from first to last. That’s probably most important for us: great support.

Fifth, we buy it!

Sixth, we give it our own rating, because we believe in the stars ;)

1469 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Bedros says

i stopped buying altogether on all site because there is no buyer protection. I buy so many things that has false advertisement and doesn’t work as advertised, that I just don’t have time to waste money on these sites until these issues get addressed and taken more seriously.

“Generalization” of bad habits can do more harm than good.
There are very few authors who want some so called “quick bucks” , but there are many many great responsible authors who have wonderful portfolios with bulletproof products with very cheap prices.They make this marketplace a whole wonderful place with buyers.

I think the best way is contact support with the product/author you’ve encountered.(and I know you don’t have to do that , our time is gold)

Envato should consider those situations very seriously , because “trust” is hard to gain but very easy to lose.

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Envato should consider those situations very seriously , because “trust” is hard to gain but very easy to loose.

Sadly this mentality causes bad impacts on “corporate attitude”. I mean the exact same reason makes companies to NOT depend on “trust” at all (as you can lose it any time easily without control) but focus on coverage, expansion, width etc. May sound like bizarre theory but I see this became a norm of current generation on any field.

I mean trust is easy to gain – depends on whether we interested in stability of service or different things! :D

by
by
by
by
by
by