5906 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

xstortionist, personally I agree with you and I can see there are certain possibilities to keep consistency were just never touched by Envato for long time (examples: showing status of deleted files on download page, never restricting authors to NOT delete files :D, licensing openness and a few more).

But regarding the particular example you pointed (browser compatibility) it actually shows the inconsistent nature of our industry (web) rather than Envato’s part. What works correctly with default combination of a theme may not work after a mild change on certain things (more related to CSS than developer’s logic or reviewers way of testing). It is everyone’s problem! ;)

5906 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

But regarding the particular example you pointed (browser compatibility) it actually shows the inconsistent nature of our industry (web) rather than Envato’s part. What works correctly with default combination of a theme may not work after a mild change on certain things (more related to CSS than developer’s logic or reviewers way of testing). It is everyone’s problem! ;)

Nah, I can list a handful of sites right now that are “new” within the past month that are not compatible with versions of browsers the product page says it’s compatible with. This is called false advertisement and there is nothing being done about it.

Plus, I just purchased a real estate theme that was new on themeforest last month, said it was compatible with IE8 and IE9 and guess what? Sidebar was displayed under the main content on all pages, Envato did nothing about this even after support tickets, all i got was a credit refund which means I was out $55 because i purchased a different real estate theme at another theme providers website.

Then your point is right, sad though, refund can never compensate certain losses and when those can be avoided with obvious quality control. I think you should contact Adrian (who manages blog articles, user interviews etc) and show your interest to participate in buyer interview. This way these concerns may reach easily into important staff’s eyes and ears.

5461 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

I wouldnt be surprised if envato, publish a disclaimer on items. Such as …

We cannot guarantee nor endorse this items compatability on all listed system types and browsers, prior to purchase, we recommend you test thoroughly.

328 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

i stopped buying altogether on all site because there is no buyer protection. I buy so many things that has false advertisement and doesn’t work as advertised, that I just don’t have time to waste money on these sites until these issues get addressed and taken more seriously.

You may have your own experiences but I rarely have issues. I’ve only had to raise tickets for only 3 themes, all tickets were answered very timely and in my favor. Personally, I’m very comfortable here and I don’t get the sense that Envato is out to make a quick buck (not implying that you meant that), but get the sense that they’re developing their business model as it’s still a business.

What also gives me some peace of mind is that the staff is always very engaged and at hand, even for minor matters and that doesn’t happen a lot elsewhere where all you get is the corporate persona.

248 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
dwhitmore says

Personally:

I check every day for new items that might be suitable for projects I’m working on. I completely ignore anything joomla/magento/ecommerce related, they’re of no interest to me personally. The more cutting edge/unique the theme is, the better.

If an item has 3 stars or less, I won’t even consider it.

Items of highest interest: Wordpress.

Check for buyer comments to see if there are any potential issues or negative comments.

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
tlacross says

I am a semi-frequent buyer (graphic/web designer) across several of the Envato marketplaces. I use the search functions a lot, and always appreciate properly-tagged items because I am usually on a deadline and trying to optimize! I find myself checking out out particular authors’ portfolios when one of their items really knocks me out/meets my client needs, but most of my decisions are based on whether the item fits the project, using searches on topic/subject/keyword.

For themes, I look for well-documented offerings and have noticed that the “Elite” authors seem to be much more professional in their support and the packaging of their template/themes, so I do look at those items first. I also look at number of sales (very high might be a bit of a negative, very low - unless it’s a new item - makes me think twice about it, but in the end the quality is the tie-breaker.)

I love the Envato contributors and almost always can find what I need here. AND , I LOVE NOT HAVING THAT STUPID CAPTCHA SIGN -IN ANYMORE !!!!

Thanks for asking!

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
tlacross says

You may have your own experiences but I rarely have issues. I’ve only had to raise tickets for only 3 themes, all tickets were answered very timely and in my favor. Personally, I’m very comfortable here and I don’t get the sense that Envato is out to make a quick buck (not implying that you meant that), but get the sense that they’re developing their business model as it’s still a business. What also gives me some peace of mind is that the staff is always very engaged and at hand, even for minor matters and that doesn’t happen a lot elsewhere where all you get is the corporate persona.

I have had good experiences also – and have had good support from the theme/template authors on the few occasions I’ve needed it. That IS one of the reasons I look very carefully at the code documentation and the author’s support mechanism – if it’s just an email when they have time, I’m not likely to go there, but a forum, dedicated support site, etc. makes me feel I have someplace to get problems resolved.

I think the prices are reasonable for the amount of time having a good base to work with saves me, and I’m willing to work out some issues (NOT major compatibility issues) if needed.
1527 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I appreciate it :)

223 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
adriantry Envato team says

Wow, that’s been an amazingly valuable thread. Thanks for starting it, Bedros, and a huge thank you to all the buyers who contributed answers.

I’ve summarised most of the responses here in an Envato Notes post called 14 Criteria Buyers Consider When Purchasing Items. I hope it helps! :)

1739 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
gbs says

Wow, that’s been an amazingly valuable thread. Thanks for starting it, Bedros, and a huge thank you to all the buyers who contributed answers. I’ve summarised most of the responses here in an Envato Notes post called 14 Criteria Buyers Consider When Purchasing Items. I hope it helps! :)

Thanks for the summary, Adrian. Very helpful, indeed :)

by
by
by
by
by
by