• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

I think you’re making assumptions about how customers buy. We don’t buy like this. [...] I think the low sales aren’t down to customer buying habits or quality issues, it’s basic economics – there are more products fighting for the same amount of buyers.

I’m generally trying not to assume. Being an author myself and an occasional buyer I can’t afford to make assumptions. Going through these buy-habits topics and interviews on Notes, taking a look at how products sell (from my inventory, bookmarks and general market), that’s what I really believe.

And when I’m saying “you buyers”, I generalize. Why? Because hardcore buyers are not really that many. Your statement about the “same amount of buyers” is only partially true, as I do believe this is only true for the number of hardcore-buyers. Other than that, the market keeps growing in numbers on both sides, authors and buyers, on mostly the same patterns: occasional authors and occasional buyers, authors that “test the waters” and put out a product once a year, and buyers that buy 1-2-3 products a year at most.

Thing is, the “occasional” type of both sides constitutes the big part of this marketplace. And occasional buyers are more likely to be impulse buyers or without an in-depth knowledge of the market, thus following common buying patterns aka “let’s run with the popular crowd”.

That’s how I see/feel it, anyway.

1389 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

Thanks for all the feedback.
Keep’em coming , we need your thoughts! :)

321 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

Thing is, the “occasional” type of both sides constitutes the big part of this marketplace. And occasional buyers are more likely to be impulse buyers or without an in-depth knowledge of the market, thus following common buying patterns aka “let’s run with the popular crowd”.

Definitely, but there’s peace of mind in buying from established (good) authors that you need when buying a product that requires support or updating, such as a theme, plus we like to support authors that have given a good service to us previously. Buying a brand new product from an unknown author is a bit of a risk, but if the product’s good then it’s usually worth a punt.

It saddens me though when I see ‘occasional’ buyers purchasing and raving about a new product that’s a blatant copy of an older product. I noticed a plugin recently that is absolutely identical in style and functionality to something we bought a few months ago, which was the first of its kind. I have to fight the urge to post something in the comments telling everyone about the original!

317 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

I have to fight the urge to post something in the comments telling everyone about the original!

I’ve seen people reporting blatant copies in comments. Don’t know why you worry about it. And you can also contact support about it…

321 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

I have to fight the urge to post something in the comments telling everyone about the original!
I’ve seen people reporting blatant copies in comments. Don’t know why you worry about it. And you can also contact support about it…

I did earlier this year when an author released an identical theme to one we’d already purchased. Looking at this authors portfolio it seems to be how they operated – a lot of their themes were copies of top selling items.

Our comment was flagged by the rogue author, and removed by Envato (as were comments by other members reporting the same thing). I took a look a few weeks later and there were stacks of bugs being reported by purchasers, so it wasn’t even a good copy. I also told the author of the original theme about the copy, but he didn’t seem too bothered about it.

A bit more variety on here would be a good thing.

by
by
by
by
by
by