• Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • United States
ThemeBeans says

There’s loads of themes being uploaded daily (and ~70% seem to be the standard “multiple home sliders, page builder, drag and drag, four widget areas in the footer, waypoints animation” business themes.

But is this still what you want – or are trying to pull away from this trend, but are continuously force fed these type of themes?

Just curious!

3721 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

The feature overload actually turns me away from some themes.

I spoke to a brand we work with (Agency side not TF) because they had a design in mind that had hundreds of features and far too much going on (again like some of the themes being uploaded), and we explained that “you can have all the LEGO bricks in the world but if they do not come together right to make the model it will never look as good as it should”. Hopefully that makes sense!

I know authors are trying to offer versatility and I do not deny there will be buyers here who are no doubt impressed with the endless lists of short codes etc. but realistically how many of them actually use them? To me and I have had a few people ask us to edit Themes from here in a way that uses as many of the elements as possible but in doing so actually damages the refinement and style of the design. Plus more features = more things to go wrong.

I think design plays a big part too. To me the more defined style (like yours) is not only more functional but appears more distinct and as a result more professional than perhaps some of the “multi purpose…..”.

If you look at the vast majority of top rated and expert custom built sites on the CSS sites or even brands it shows that original functionality and tight design (of course there is only so far authors can go with this bit!) superseed endless features, toggles, tabs, sliders etc.

The hugely diverse range of buyers here will always mean that at the end of the day each type of theme will have its own market but i do genuinely believe that simplified, functional themes that are immediately easy to imagine as a buyers own (no matter how experienced) would benefit here.

p.s. love the blue avatar switch!

438 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • United States
ThemeBeans says

I agree. I feel there’s a direct relationship between stock features and possible bugs/user issues. The idea that “more value for your money” seems to be improperly translated to “more features, shortcodes & sliders for your money”. The most difficult part in competing against that thought process, is that it’s our nature to want the best and get the most value, which is generally perceived as more “stuff” when we purchase something.

All in all though, I believe that buying a well thought out and executed theme, developed for a specific resolution – is the way the go. You get a cleaner, lightweight package, what you need – not what you don’t.

p.s. I’m not 100% convinced on the blue, but thanks :)

115 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bulgaria
Aether-Themes says

All in all though, I believe that buying a well thought out and executed theme, developed for a specific resolution – is the way the go. You get a cleaner, lightweight package, what you need – not what you don’t. p.s. I’m not 100% convinced on the blue, but thanks :)

I agree 100%, don’t like those swiss-knife designs. Every time you buy something that has the ‘one-fits-all’ solution you are guaranteed to have a little of everything and the best of nothing. But hey – the top sellers here are constantly these types of themes so what do I know :P

p.s. Keep the blue! :)

471 posts (-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)
  • Elite Author
  • Mongolia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
Themewaves says

Look at the Popular Items and look at their features. Buyers need for this :)

by
by
by
by
by
by