7 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
sfov says

Great Thread…..

The designs and creations here are quite appealing, and as others have said, not all can view them properly, they don’t look the same after purchase and sliders taking up the top 3/4 of the screen.

These are some of the things I’ve seen over the past week that could use improvement. (only because i’m looking for templates now for a client)

• This is 2010, everyone is pretty well aware of social networking so, please include the most popular networking icons (twitter, FB, etc) or at least make the template that the user can place these with minimal trouble. Or have them there and they can be turned on or off as need be. This should be pretty much a standard now don’t you think?
  • Blogs…Please? pretty self explanatory I would think. I’ve come across several nice templates that would work, and no blog link….and no way to determine how simple it would be to include another page for your blog…other than emailling the author. I’m tired of emailing an author only to be told that “If you’re good with php or css or whatever, you can add one yourself”. I don’t want to, I”m not a coder, nor a graphic artist (hell my stick men are fat LOL )...I come here to purchase a template to install with minimal fuss.
  • Galleries: If I have a need for a gallery, then I should be able to separate that gallery into categories. Lot’s of those templates don’t do that here, or they need extensive coding in php and mySQL in order to do so. (See previous comment), there’s an opportunity for the author to make a little more money by offering to do this for the purchaser.
  • Cross Implementation: There are templates here dealing specifically with photo’s nothing else, so it would be nice if you had a theme that couldn’t do photo’s as previously stated to use one of those sites, and somehow integrate it with the theme…maybe there’s a way to do that, but can’t tell.
  • Log In Screen: If you have a Template that is gorgeous, that has a log in for it for whatever reason, why would you NOT make a log in screen for this template. I purchased a template, installed it and it worked great, simple easy to use…when I clicked LOG IN , it took me to the generic Wordpress Log In page…sort of takes away from the website as a whole now doesn’t it?
  • Shopping Cart: Need more templates with a shopping cart that takes one out to paypal upon checkout
  • Documentation: This is a big one to me…The authors need to quit assuming that the purchaser knows what they’re talking about. The documentation should be laid out simply enough that someone with no experience can install this. Not all of us understand what wrapping something inside the div or images tags are, or where to even do that because the documentation sucks.
  • Plug Ins: Other than wordpress, I’d love to see someone come up with a generic template with none of the links in it, and people can then purchase what they want/need for that template. Need a blog? purchase this, need a Forum? what kind, Yabb, phpBB? purchase this. All add on’s that integrate seemlessly with each other.

There’s some other things that I see..but these are the big ones for me anyhow, I’ve had clients turn down templates because of the above, especially since they, on the surface deal with the public at mass

77 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • New Zealand
ChunkStudio says

Hi , @sfov

”* Blogs…Please? pretty self explanatory I would think. I’ve come across several nice templates that would work, and no blog link….and no way to determine how simple it would be to include another page for your blog…other than emailling the author. I’m tired of emailing an author only to be told that “If you’re good with php or css or whatever, you can add one yourself”. I don’t want to, I”m not a coder, nor a graphic artist (hell my stick men are fat LOL )...I come here to purchase a template to install with minimal fuss.

• Galleries: If I have a need for a gallery, then I should be able to separate that gallery into categories. Lot’s of those templates don’t do that here, or they need extensive coding in php and mySQL in order to do so. (See previous comment), there’s an opportunity for the author to make a little more money by offering to do this for the purchaser.
  • Cross Implementation: There are templates here dealing specifically with photo’s nothing else, so it would be nice if you had a theme that couldn’t do photo’s as previously stated to use one of those sites, and somehow integrate it with the theme…maybe there’s a way to do that, but can’t tell.

> hate to drone on about ModX again, but the answer is EASY .

• Plug Ins: Other than wordpress, I’d love to see someone come up with a generic template with none of the links in it, and people can then purchase what they want/need for that template. Need a blog? purchase this, need a Forum? what kind, Yabb, phpBB? purchase this. All add on’s that integrate seemlessly with each other.

> Now that is a bloody good idea.

7 posts
sfov says

Thanks ADesign1

hate to drone on about ModX again, but the answer is EASY .

Yes, I actually went and downloaded this, to have a look at it… it installs easily enough…and the demo looks slick, so now I can play with it and won’t matter if I break the page or not, at least it’ll be trial and error which is a good thing.

Now comes the learning curve, but it does seem simple enough…a little off the norm of what I am used to, because it’s building it from the ground up so to speak..but

I tend to like what it looks like it can do…

Thanks again, I would never have looked at it had I not come to these forums.

77 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • New Zealand
ChunkStudio says
Thanks ADesign1

hate to drone on about ModX again, but the answer is EASY .

Yes, I actually went and downloaded this, to have a look at it… it installs easily enough…and the demo looks slick, so now I can play with it and won’t matter if I break the page or not, at least it’ll be trial and error which is a good thing.

Now comes the learning curve, but it does seem simple enough…a little off the norm of what I am used to, because it’s building it from the ground up so to speak..but

I tend to like what it looks like it can do…

Thanks again, I would never have looked at it had I not come to these forums.

Hiya, good on you sfov – are you trialling it locally or online? – just a couple of issues if you are using it with xamp/lamp or mamp (mac) on your hard drive (friendly url’s/contact form etc.) no big deals tho’ – just persevere with you chunks/snippets and your [content] area’s and you will view the ‘site templates’ section of this site with a new perspective !! :-) – you will actually be able to use that ‘search’ button that one of the designers on here has spent hours designing to look great in their theme !! Cheers AD1

630 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

I need a template in CSS much like the Nightmare On Elm Street site: http://www.nightmareonelmstreet.com/ (full bg image with some jQuery bits instead of that pants nav they use) .

17 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United Kingdom
xxxrich says
im gonna tell you what i like .. 1/ a website thats not clutterd up with massive sliding pics at the top of the page

Question… Do you like this site?

And by that I am assuming that sites like this are easy to read and navigate…

You make some valid points, the design is like a frame for the content – the real trick is making the frame ‘work’ for the content. ;)

255 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United States
BuchmannDesign says
The problem with his theme is one shared by many html website themes here and elsewhere: the Blog page is for show only and totally non-funtional. The web site sample shows 3 blog articles on the Blog page with a link to the author and listed comments, and a trail at the bottom of the page indicating 3 previous pages of blog articles. But all the links just refresh this same page.

It amazes me that people buy html templates that have non functional blogs. And many sell very very well. I have to wonder if the buyers know what they’re buying.

Edit: just read someone’s comment on using ModX. I’m a fan of ModX, and use it for a site. It’s an excellent point… you can take a static html template here and work it into a dynamic ModX driven site!

8 posts
danieltamiosso says

Hi!

I need a design like http://ewedding.com/. About the same theme. But not about the same business. Can be developed with the same options. Myself can change it, no problems…

1 post
phinshaw says

I love your templates (and MY Clients like the sliders) I would like to see some more designs where we don’t have to edit all the header/logo images. Most of your designs have a “font” logo with no image. The average logo is 250 px wide and maybe 80 px high, but I always have to do a lot of work to replace your logos and fix css files. The other thing I would like to see is some not so wide templates, some of my clients would prefer a narrow website like maybe 750 or 800 px wide. Overall, your designs are awesome and I’m enjoying customizing them. Thanks for all your hard work

2 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
kappat says

Would like more sites like this:

http://themeforest.net/item/reviewit-review-community-wordpress-theme/109666

Looking for the following type of sites:

Review, Coupon & Product comparison

Themeforest seems to have a lot of “portfolio” sites. I think developers and designers could make a lot more money if the tried making sites that don’t exist already. It seems like everyone just make the same type of sites with slightly different designs

by
by
by
by
by
by