• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

So, I wanted to share my experience with you. I mentioned somewhere in the forum that I’m planning to buy new DELL PrecisionT T7600, with a really high configuration (Dual Xeon, 128GB RAM, 2 GPU, SSD, 2×27” monitors etc.). So I got the machine at my home. Installed CS5.5 package and started AE to see how it works. First, I had some problems with OpenGL. After working for half of hour, I got BSOD (blue screen of death). I thought, okay, don’t panic, it’s just one simple problem.

Well, the agony goes on. I start Cinema 4D, to test out the GPU’s. My laptop had faster workaround. I find out that they (DELL) didn’t connect 2 GPU’s at all, via crossfire cable. Also, I had some strange artifacts when playing videos of any kind, and weird glitches. One of the most painful things was that computer couldn’t read above 10-12GB’s of RAM.

I went to a reseller here in Sarajevo, they connected GPU’s, but still, I had same problems. They also couldn’t figure out other problems, like PC not reading RAM, etc. They decided to replace the computer. DELL agreed and they’ve sent a new computer. (Ofcourse, I had to wait, without computer and not being able to work).

New computer arrives. :)

With new machine, they also didn’t connect GPU’s and I’ve had identical problems. Flickering, glitches, GPU’s not giving expected results, crashing, openGL not working etc. etc. The only change was that new machine was reading more RAM. I was furious.

I told these guys, instead of giving my money back (around $8500) to order me a MAC :) Little less in configuration, but I hope they wont let me down. Writing you now still from DELL’s PC and waiting for a Mac.

Wanted to share this experience with you, it might help someone. All in all, I’ve lost a lot of time for nothing.

606 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Finland
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
+1 more
uniquefx says

Sorry to hear about your problems.I always though Dell is the Apple of PC world.

So what kind of MAC did you end up with and is this your first experience with OSX?

323 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
vaynah says

That is shocking to hear. From the specs it sounds like a beast of a machine. Too bad it didn’t work properly.

I have Dell Precision T7200 that is running more or less smoothly for the last 3 years. Is it a Mac Pro you getting?

2255 posts Small, but tough
  • Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Sorry to hear about your problems.I always though Dell is the Apple of PC world. So what kind of MAC did you end up with and is this your first experience with OSX?

I thought that too mate. But it turns out they’re only good with average configuration, but little bit more serious stuff, they obviously cannot hande.

I order Mac Pro with Dual Xeons 2.40 and 64GB RAM (max at their configuration), some average GPU (ATI Radeon), 2tb hdd, but without SSD (didn’t have money for that at the moment), and 2×27” monitors.

• Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

p.s. I am amazed with SSD, only “issue” is they’re sooo expensive.

323 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
vaynah says

With that kind of power we will be expecting some spectacular work from you my friend :D

• Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

With that kind of power we will be expecting some spectacular work from you my friend :D

:D I will need some time to get back to work. :)

And, the problem I also have is that I have CS5.5 prod. premium, but for windows :( And when I get Mac, I have to upgrade to CS6 for Mac.

323 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
vaynah says

:D I will need some time to get back to work. :)

And, the problem I also have is that I have CS5.5 prod. premium, but for windows :( And when I get Mac, I have to upgrade to CS6 for Mac.

Just go dual boot with win7/8 for the time being

1686 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+1 more
Creattive says

on my mac pro, after effects is a lot faster on win8 than on osx mountain lion. So I would go with dual boot.

126 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
NOVAPLUS says

Having a SSD hard disk is recommended. I will work very fluid with 64 gigs of ram in preview mode After Effects, CS5 version. The cs4 version is limited to 4 gigabytes memory.

by
by
by
by
by
by