22 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
digitalmix says

Can anyone advise me on the best way to deal with a client if proposing to use a ready-made template or theme. I haven’t purchased a template / theme from TF yet, so i’m not sure if its possible to add a known domain address at the buying stage or a clients email details etc. If there isn’t, this would surely be a good idea! I’d appreciate some feedback thanks!

632 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

For this I’d suggest using an “extended” license, which I believe entitles you to use it in a clients work. However, you’re better off reading the license terms.

When you purchase the file, it gets attached to the account you buy it with.

332 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

Your question is a little fuzzy but I gather you’re buying a theme on behalf of a client. If you plan to regularly do this (buy themes for clients’ sites) then they don’t need an account at TF and you just purchase via your account. You don’t need a ‘known domain address at the buying stage’. If it’s a one-off deal and you want to use your client’s email to set up the account then do so but then the client will technically own the account.

22 posts
digitalmix says

I have 2 clients who are interested in TF templates for their company sites. They like the responsive templates and seem very keen. I have offered to add branding to the designs, and set up and possibly add a cms, so i am being very open about it. The authors get full recognition. I am asking for £300 each for said work as its about a day or two each. Reading the licensing for standard use, i am unsure if i’m effectively reselling if i buy them. That’s why i am putting this question to TF users. Hope that it explains it better. Apologies for the fuzzy question Cline123

2459 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says

There are LOTS of people buying themes for clients here, businesses flourished because of this. They pay like $35 and charge the client much, much more than that.

You’re one of the < 1% who actually have the decency to worry about this.

You’re not reselling them, as you’re not selling the theme ‘as is’. You’re selling your customization services. It’s like the client bought the theme and hired you to adapt it to their business. Nothing wrong there.

Just one thing. Although no one forces you to do so, I (personally) highly recommend leaving the author’s credit in the footer. Yeah, clients and visitors may not care, but when a fellow web designer (or the theme author) sees you taking credit for the design…well, that’s just not right. :)

675 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
dexterous says

I am pretty sure that this is allowed, and that’s how TF gets so many sales. What is not allowed is to buy it once and use it multiple times. if you buy one regular license template and it becomes only one site for your client with added features by you, it is allowed.

22 posts
digitalmix says

Thankyou Digitalimpact. Yes, i am simply offering a graphic design and maybe cms conversion service more than anything else plus a FB like page design package etc. I would be doing very little code tweaking. And i would leave the authors details in the footer. I might add a ‘branded and cms’d by xxx’ or something like that next to name. I am not sure that honesty always pays, but i sleep well at night! Regards

332 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

I sleep very well at night and put no attribution or link to the author of any theme I use. My website has a huge alert box stating that I use templates, the reason why I use them and I always give clients links to the theme demos I shortlist to choose one they like. There’s nothing dishonest about it unless you state the site was designed by you.

2459 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says

[...] There’s nothing dishonest about it unless you state the site was designed by you.

Yep, that’s what I meant :)

22 posts
digitalmix says

Thankyou all for your replies. So far, it seems that i can indeed -

“purchase a template / theme on a clients behalf, customise / brand it, and set up and charge a client for my services without violationg any envato licensing agreement – so long as i dont claim authorship or set up more than one site using said template / theme.”
Cheers!
by
by
by
by
by
by