• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
UBLThemes says

In the last 2-3 years I have been thinking of moving to America with my family but was always put off because its a huge jump to make, not just for me but for my wife and children.

Anyway, me and my wife are starting to research the best places to live.

Not just for living, we are also looking at schooling, crime, value… The list goes on.

Can I ask for advice from people who live in America on what the best locations you guys/gals think so I can do a little more research before making a decision of this magnitude.

Thanks ;)

235 posts themesdepot.org
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
ThemesDepot says

Before starting looking for a place to live, you should first get a VISA, without one, you can’t legally live and work in USA.

631 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

Before starting looking for a place to live, you should first get a VISA, without one, you can’t legally live and work in USA.

We have already spoken to immigration regarding this, they stated some guidelines but in general it should not be difficult as we meet all points of interest :)

I still have 6 months left on my last visa from when I visited last year :)

235 posts themesdepot.org
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
ThemesDepot says

We have already spoken to immigration regarding this, they stated some guidelines but in general it should not be difficult as we meet all points of interest :) I still have 6 months left on my last visa from when I visited last year :)

Would you able to clarify what exactly those guidelines are? I’ve done my researches years ago, so i’m not up to date. As far as i remember to legally work and live in the USA (for good not for a limited time) a person would either need a green card or a visa from a sponsor.

238 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
BizLogic says
  1. First, you should have enough reserve funds to live comfortably for 3 – 4 months without any other source of income.
  2. Secondly, where you settle depends on how much you want to pay for the ‘Cost of Living’.
    You will earn more in large cities like NY, LA, or San Fran, but you also will have to pay more to live there.
  3. I’m sure that you can find numerous articles regarding the best destinations for IT professionals via Google
  4. My personal preference is the West Coast (California)
631 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

We have already spoken to immigration regarding this, they stated some guidelines but in general it should not be difficult as we meet all points of interest :) I still have 6 months left on my last visa from when I visited last year :)
Would you able to clarify what exactly those guidelines are? I’ve done my researches years ago, so i’m not up to date. As far as i remember to legally work and live in the USA (for good not for a limited time) a person would either need a green card or a visa from a sponsor.

We have only asked for a temp to start with, then if after 12 months, just incase we decided it was to much for the family and if we decided to migrate we would apply then for permanent residency.

Bare in mind for a 12 month visa from the UK is not that hard as we have already done this on 2 occasions.

I could not give you the full guidelines for permanent residency as we are only looking for temp at the moment, with ideas to be permanent if my children, my wife and I adapt well.

631 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

1. First, you should have enough reserve funds to live comfortably for 3 – 4 months without any other source of income.
  2. Secondly, where you settle depends on how much you want to pay for the ‘Cost of Living’.
    You will earn more in large cities like NY, LA, or San Fran, but you also will have to pay more to live there.
  3. I’m sure that you can find numerous articles regarding the best destinations for IT professionals via Google
  4. My personal preference is the West Coast (California)

Hi and thank you for getting involved.

We have enough savings to live for a full 12 months at a good location, that is why we are only looking at temp residency to see how things develop for myself and my family.

We have looked at some areas, Obviously some parts of America are out of our price range, like the rich parts of the orange county but we want a decent area of living.

We have found a lot of articles which help us, but nothing is better than multiple peoples experience and views who are in the same field as myself, rather than articles written by people who are only talking about things in general.

Thank you for giving us the west coast, I will have some reading to do tonight :)

3192 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

America is so diverse, it really depends what kind of lifestyle you want your family to live. Two different parts of the country can be pretty different.

Do you want city life? Want to live in the country side? Both? Mountains? Oceans? Suburbs? the list can go on.

674 posts
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Envato Staff
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Support Staff
+7 more
cudazi Staff says

I’m not sure how accurate this really is (it usually wants me to live in Arkansas instead of Minnesota…) but it may help you think of some factors to consider: http://www.findyourspot.com/

City-Data has a ton of useful information once you narrow things down.

1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

America is so diverse, it really depends what kind of lifestyle you want your family to live. Two different parts of the country can be pretty different. Do you want city life? Want to live in the country side? Both? Mountains? Oceans? Suburbs? the list can go on.

In Los Angeles, where I live, we have all of the above within 30 miles of each other! City life includes the hustle and bustle of Downtown LA, Beverly Hills, and Hollywood. Countryside can be found in the San Fernando Valley, with numerous farms and horse ranches. The beautiful Santa Monica Mountains form a nice spine crossing the city with state and national parks for hiking. Ocean is gorgeous from Malibu to Santa Monica to Venice with its quirky boardwalk and beyond. Suburbs with master-planned communities, wide streets and cul-de-sacs can be found everywhere, particularly in the Valleys (San Fernando, Santa Clarita, Simi, Conejo). All this, plus an average temperature of about 70 degrees all year round, with no snow and little rain.

by
by
by
by
by
by