• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
UBLThemes says

Austin, TX is really cool. I used to live there but moved up north to New York State 8 years ago.

Some pros for Austin:

Hi-tech city (Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Texas Instruments, lots of video game companies) Young city Lots of restaurant choices Lots of live music Lots of things to do outdoors 2 hours from San Antonio, 3 hours from Dallas, 2.5 hours from Houston No State Income taxes Cost of living is pretty reasonable.

Some cons for Austin:

Can get really hot in the summers. I don’t like the heat and I don’t miss the summers. Traffic is getting worse No professional sports. You have to go to Dallas, Houston or San Antonio to see some sort of professional sport. No ocean near by but there are a few lakes you can go to if you need the water.

Good luck with you search,

Vic

Thank you for your input, I was originally put off with the heat of some parts of Texas as the heat looks unbearable, especially when you take into account that the UK does not generally go above 86 degrees, where as Texas can easily average 100 for the months of July and August.

But its nice to know the other aspects about living.

631 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
UBLThemes says

For school information in the US, you can look at http://www.greatschools.org, but keep in mind that specific schools are assigned to each house, and it can change from one street to the next. A good way to search is to look on Zillow for a specific address, and then see the schools assigned to it. For cost of living, here is a good site that lists the prices of specific items in different locations, so you can get a feel for how expensive certain things you normally buy are. One thing about the US is that most prices are roughly consistent in every state, like restaurants, groceries, cars, utilities, but housing and salaries can vary widely. California has high housing costs, taxes, and gas, but also some of the highest salaries. You can also save on heating and cooling costs compared to cheaper states that have hot summers and cold winters.

Thank you for this information :)

1469 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

If you really want to move to America, than you should buy a gun first. If you don’t have a gun, they don’t allow you to enter their country. The government’s suggestion is an AK-47.

(To all fellow American friends, I know you already know it but anyway, just joking, but every joke also has its point, right? ;) This was only about the “gun owning craziness”)

199 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
GregMusic says

Most websites say that the south US or the northeastern US are the best for prices/schools/crime but its nice to see what actual people who live elsewhere say. Looks like you have made my research time double lol…

I don’t want to start an east coast vs west coast debate here… but all I’ll say is the people who move out west for schools or jobs usually end up staying. :)

As far as prices/school/crime, this will vary a lot within small geographical areas. In many cities (east and west) you can be driving down a street with million dollar homes, amazingly nice schools and low crime/high police presence, and a few blocks away you’ll find just the opposite. There’s lots of debate about the economic disparity in America these days because of this.

Good luck on your search! :)

1148 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

The government’s suggestion is an AK-47.

The government would never recommend an AK-47 (Soviet made). They recommend the AR-15!

5 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
mattymc727 says

New England is a beautiful place too. Its probably a lot like you are used to in the UK. New England has mountains, oceanfront, lakes, rivers, snow and heat. The winters can be brutal, but the autumn and summer cant be beat. Most of the New England states have small cities and the public education is very good. Cost of living is a little high, but its worth it.

I grew up in New Hampshire, I have traveled across the world, and will always come back home to NH. No state is better.

Check out some more reading here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire
1469 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

The government’s suggestion is an AK-47.
The government would never recommend an AK-47 (Soviet made). They recommend the AR-15!

Haha :)
You never know friend, those issues are indeed hard to guess. :)
Wish you the very best.

238 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
BizLogic says

This was only about the “gun owning craziness”
Well, that is a part of our Constitution. They will need to call in the Army (which is illegal “on paper”) to revoke this privilege. Regardless, if owning a firearm was legal or not, people would find a way to get what they want.
1148 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

As far as prices/school/crime, this will vary a lot within small geographical areas. In many cities (east and west) you can be driving down a street with million dollar homes, amazingly nice schools and low crime/high police presence, and a few blocks away you’ll find just the opposite. There’s lots of debate about the economic disparity in America these days because of this.

It is like this in many parts of Los Angeles, so you have to be careful where you look. One notable example is Hancock Park, which is a rich area that is completely surrounded by low-income areas. When my wife and I were looking for our current house, we even saw one street with a transition from nice houses, manicured lawns, and trees on either side of the street touching in the middle, to run-down houses, dirt lawns, and old cars in the driveway. It turns out the nice end of the street was assigned to a good school, and the ugly end to a bad school. Good schools attract a more affluent buyer (who then takes better care of the property), and houses assigned to the good school have higher prices because of it.

177 posts straight to the art designs
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
arrowthemes says

If I was to migrate to the US, I would keep off Los angeles and it’s environs. Geologists and all the media are talking of the ‘Big One’ but what it really is, it’s bigger than they can imagine. Of late there’ve been couple of videos of animals exiting Yellowstone….

by
by
by
by
by
by