Can a "Site Template" be .php files? (As opposed to .html) Would like to use php include for navigation.

47 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
TylorSkory says

I am working on my first Site Template and I was curious if it had to be static HTML . I would like to utilize some php includes for things like the navigation and I think it would be a lot easier (for both me and the purchaser) to edit a single file than having to go through every single page just to change something in the nav/footer.

I’m just curious how other people have gotten around this issue with a Site Template. Obviously a Wordpress theme would be easier because it’s all dynamic but i’m wondering about the Site Templates, specifically. Is it typically all 100% static html?

146 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
0703 says

when you use a contact form in any way its mostly a .php file. i dont think this would be a problem. aslong as you have a detailed documentation on how to tweak this.

feel free to correct me if im wrong

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
OBR says

Yes that is perfectly fine. Use the PHP function “include( )” within your template file. I find this works well. More info can be found on php.net. Alternativly, the full functions i use is in both my scripts on CodeCanyon :). You can always purchase those ;).

Text removed

741 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Poland
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Orbital_Themes says
Please follow me on twitter. Special deals will be given to users of twitter, on a prize bases. For example, once a month (or so, i havnt quite decided) I will allow a user to get a FREE script of their choice, coded by me, which does not appear on CodeCanyon!

Come on, stop spamming the forums with this “Follow me on Twitter” thing. I’m sure there are other ways of promoting your work.

By the way – I think that TylorSkory knows how to use include function, his concern is weather it is allowed on TF in site templates category.

1840 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

I had a similar thread, you can check it here, hope it will help http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/php-in-xhtml-templates/19066

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
OBR says
...his concern is weather it is allowed on TF in site templates category.
Yes that is perfectly fine. Use the PHP function “include( )” within your template file.

I just gave my opinion and help for him. I dont know if he knows it or not. Im just trying to help the guy out.

47 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
TylorSkory says

Cool! Thanks for all the info everyone! Also, freshface, the link to your previous thread was really helpful too. Thanks.

1840 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

np Tylor :-) please use include function in site templates, because more authors do that, the more site templates will be more useful. It’s very easy to explain it, even to a newbie, plus it saves a lot of time for everyone afterall. It’s win win, we just need to teach the begginers :)

//EDIT: Also, i have experienced almost no support requests from buyers of my HTML files which means they are much more skilled than the wp buyers for instance.

158 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
furto says

For my ‘Dark n Clean’ template (which is my first HTML full site template) I included both a pure html version and a .php version with includes.

In my documentation I only showed how to use the php version though and recommended that the user upgrades to a server that supports php because its so much easier with include().

by
by
by
by
by
by