1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

Hi Mark,

Thanks for some initial guidelines. Any thoughts on how all this would work in context of, if I set up a motion graphics design services company for clients? I’d have some commercials I’d have demo reels for on my site.

The service would include creating a 2-10 minute video commercial for clients, and would incorporate:

a) components from 5-6 different projects from here plus b) royalty free video clips from other sites plus c) client-supplied logo psds and their footage plus d) voiceover work I’d contract out elsewhere and e) rf audio from other places I’ve bought

So this is for example for a client project that would be paying me $2-$10K to create an internet commercial, which would include elements from templates I’d get here. The DELIVERABLE to the CLIENT is ONLY a movie file, the .mov, never all the sources of course—that’s not how advertising/commercial production companies work. The deliverable is the final video file for the client, never the sources. Just like here, you producers can’t include the audio file used in the demo, if it’s something you bought/licensed elsewhere.

Obviously I don’t want to tell clients where I got source files from (same as if I were buying flash buttons on activeden.net for client’s flash project work), or say “hey mister corporate client by the way I’m just modifying templates I got over at vh for ya” with other work… so how would you suggest I proceed, for example creating an advertising agency/creative commercial site service, and maintain the right licensing boundaries from here, without revealing where I got source materials from?

For now I just use the projects I buy here in my own company’s video commercials, just wondering how it would work if I created a motion graphics design company, that would use various elements from vh projects in them? Talking to other rf aep sites there’s no boundaries, so just wanted to see what the situation is here. I’d sent in a support ticket but didn’t get a detailed answer.

I posted a similar query here but didn’t get a response from vh, please advise,thanks: http://videohive.net/forums/thread/if-i-were-to-create-a-motion-gfx-design-companyservices-what-are-the-licensing-considerations-wprojects-from-here/30769

Likely many of the buyers, the market here, as is the case at other sites that sell royalty-free AEPs, is for motion graphics designers who buy them in order to include them in customized videos they make for clients (eg wedding video intros, or commercial ad spots); and of course nobody wants to reveal where they get their source aeps from to clients; the Deliverable to the client is simply the final .mov/video file, not all the components (rf audio clips, video clips, aep/motion graphics sources etc). That’s how motion graphics design services companies work. Please advise, thanks.

thx,

-k

42 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
flashca says

This is pretty much what I do. But again I only give out the final file ( .mov) ( .Avi ) I include a note in the invoice that says INTERNET USE ONLY . (WEB)+ ( Social Netowk) Let’s all agree, A real ( high end) commercial should hold a UNIQUE PROJECT anyhow! If the client wants to publish the commercial online thats fine but I restrict them of any TV/ Cable / Live Broadcast / PODCAST

I think if the rules don’t say this … maybe they should be revised….

If “you know” your client will request the PROJECT FILE (aep) You should not use a ENVATO project file. You should contact the Author, And get a quote on a UNIQUE FILE … No? Or would that not mean 3rd party re-selling? Customized or not?

DOWNSIDE … Now let’s say the client is a webdesign company… They bought a file with AEP source then reproduce a bunch of side template projects on there website. ( reminding you the webdesigner has no clue where the original file comes from , right? he just bought if off a buyer from envato.)

Wow… Same example… I just switch the client and usage of AEP file.

but heck of a difference… this should be covered in the rules. Let’s Protect the … countless hours of great work, Videohive Authors create! BTW .. And we should call iAEP FILES : SOURCE FILEs. I think… It should be… Once you buy a source file you can’t share it or sell it. Using someone else’s work to sell or forward a source file is kinna fake, If not fully disclosed and agreed with original author… Also could be an excusive file to Video hive. Mmmmm?:confused:

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

I agree I don’t believe anyone should ever share in any way, a source file they bought here… if I create an advertisement for a client, and use a modified logo introduction aep from a source aep I bought here to produce that logo introduction, like any graphics designer would, I certainly wouldn’t share the source aep files or other footage (or audio files, or royalty free video I’d gotten elsewhere etc, or flash .fla source for flash projects, etc etc)... the Deliverable to a client who hires a motion graphics designer to create a video spot, is the final .mov video file only, not the video plus all the sources…. it would be helpful to get envato’s take on this. In checking with other places I buy from that sell aeps, that’s the process they use/approve for their buyers.

A working motion graphics design company’s process is:

a) Get the client’s requirements for the video commercial advertisement they want produced (for example a product promo spot, or a local tv station video for a car commercial etc)

b) Design company (that would be me), creates a couple of storyboard sample layouts for the customer to review, and finalize the design specs on. Would use say elements from 3 different project aeps here, rf audio/video from other places, and customize everything for client, for a final 30-second video commercial spot, that the client could use a) on the internet or b) for broadcast, depending on project.

c) Design company produces watermarked near-final production video for client (this would have for example a couple of modified vh aeps in it, a royalty free audio track from a different place, a couple of royalty free videos, like you guys use from dj in promo spots)

d) Client approves final video commercial; pays design company balance of fee

e) Design company delivers 1280×1024 (or whatever) resolution final .mov/.avi video to client via download area on their server.

Design company never gives source aeps, source rf audio/video files to client of course; the deliverable for a commercial video project that design companies produce is the final compiled video, not video + all the sources. And of course a commercial production company would not want to reveal where they got their sources, eg “hey Mr. Fortune 500 client, I bought a couple of aeps from videohive, got my royalty free audio from (another site), and this stock video footage from (another site)”... instead those sources are always kept confidential (or else the client would just take the project in-house and not hire external motion graphics designers).

Ask any motion graphics design company that produces commercials, that’s the process, right buyers? Anyways it would be good to hear licensing guidelines from envato regarding this.

The reason for this marketplace, to sell source aeps, is mainly for motion video production companies who modify the project files for clients, I’d think… exactly like flash site designers who buy .flas on AD, the end products they create for clients would be .swfs, they wouldn’t/shouldn’t share the source flas.

Can we/I get some licensing guideline clarifiication regarding how a company who buys these aep projects here to modify for use in client projects, as part of complete commercials, would work?

-k

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Hey Graphic,

I understand licensing is very difficult right now. Which is the main reason were currently spending a great deal of time, rewriting everything out. The next version of the license copy should be much more readable, and help explain all rules and restrictions.

As I understand now, you can buy VH files for client projects, but you can’t claim that you were the person who made those projects. As I said before, you’re essentially purchasing the file on behalf of the client, which then means the license over the source files are theirs, not yours.

But then again since its for a single use, and you’re incorporating them into much larger projects is could be different. The license is very difficult when there are many different scenarios which don’t quite seem to fit. I’ll pass this along to support and see if they can come in here and provide some clarification.

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

Hi Mark, thanks re looking into it. As with all microstock sites (video stock, photo stock, other ae stock sites, flash component sites), any single element being bought here for use in a client project would not be the main thing that’s being customized, but rather just one small stock component for a video infomercial/commercial advertisement.

For example, if I design a 2-minute video commercial for a doctor’s office, I’d envision that it may well have:

a) an intro logo aep from a project bought here, plus

b) soundtrack from a different royalty free audio site I’d bought elsewhere, plus

c) client footage from their website or shot there, plus

d) an outro logo / call to action from an aep bought from a different after effects stock website, plus

e) a motion background from yet another stock video site, plus

f) a few royalty-free photos bought from another microstock site, plus

g) voiceover from either the client or hired v/o talent

all creatively combined together and designed by me, in a 30-second to 2-minute (or whatever length) infomercial, which is delivered to the client as a single hi-res .mov file as the final deliverable, that they own and can use.

so in that case I would not deliver any of my sources, just the final compiled creative video work that I painstakingly created by combining together multiple elements, including a couple of projects from here, plus many other bits and pieces put together from the rest of my creative assets library I’ve bought from various rf / stock sites over the years. And yes it would be made clear to the client that “we use creative assets obtained from a variety of commercial microstock marketplace sites, that we combine to create your customized final advertising creative”... without disclosing specific sources.

Like a wedding videographer, makes wedding videos from source footage, and combines it with video templates or ae templates they’ve customized, but doesn’t give the bride and groom anything except the final wedding video, they don’t give them their sony vegas .veg file + the after effects projects plus video sources… the deliverable is just the final composited video, which is what I would deliver.

-k

29 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
perekaniaga says

Actually just need to make one correction on what Graphic said… while the single use license is fine as long as the file is only used in one project. The buyer would actually be required to provide the source to the client if they asked for it. You see we allow the use of our files within client projects, but we don’t allow buyers to claim they created the original project. When you buy a project here for use in a client project, you buy the project on behalf of the client. It’s the client that actually owns the single license and is entitled to have the source. Also you’re not selling the file as your work. You’re selling the service of customizing the project to suit the needs of the client..

But in reality i don’t think that is the scenario. Yes the client could have the source file if they asked. I think most of them would claim that they did the the whole project by themselves. Not all, but in majority. But we wouldn’t know it anyway. I knew some people who did that.

And even worse i caught one of my students submitting works from videohive for my project. He claimed with confidence that he did that. Even said that he felt insulted when i said that wasn’t his work. Crazy eh! :)

75 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Indonesia
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
agushardiman says

And even worse i caught one of my students submitting works from videohive for my project. He claimed with confidence that he did that. Even said that he felt insulted when i said that wasn’t his work. Crazy eh! :)

Sorry, I’m AudioJungle author & just surf here. What a different in audio world where we never give client the source / multitrack files. I didn’t know that it’s more complex situation in here :( Hope you all got these problem sorted. Good luck to you all !

by
by
by
by
by
by