Can any explain me how web hosting works? I am finding info on net. Didnt start yet. But still posted the question nevertheless to see if someone explains me in a bit easy manner.
Like for example : after making the website and organzing the files in a zip folder. I have to send this file to the web hosting service company?
Another question is how do these web hosting service companies get the spaces in the web?
I mean is there a way to buy my own space on the net. I am sorry for being so vague.
I meant to say, those web hosting companies probably bought spaces in world wide web?
Sorry for the confusing questions. Feel free to educate me at this.
Again i am sorry if i am bothering you guys. I just wish to know how things work.
What you need is a Plan, A big Budget and A smart brain.
Most of Web Hosting Companies have either started with a reseller account to “test” the waters out or started with one server and tried to grow by spreading the word (using forums like and in their respective industries and communities in general you need to advertise to get clients).
The real problem is that you end up being in a market with a whole bunch of competitors offering essentially the same thing with a different set of bells and whistles here and there. It’s tough to break into the market considering the larger players smother the various web hosting directories with ads with bigger packages, more features and stronger support options.
However, you see many players emerge because the quality of service (even of these larger players) is questionable and people are willing to switch for better customer service (and other reasons as well such as flexibility).
As far as the money people make selling hosting; the default answer is that it varies. But I can tell you that there have been several hosting companies that have come and gone in a matter of days or weeks because they just couldn’t get the fire going fast enough. This has led customers to become weary to the zillions of hosting companies that have emerged due to cheaper dedicated servers and to really want established hosting providers with a proven track record. If you have the stamina to establish this “staying power”, you can get quite far and succeed.
Anyway, to make a Hosting Company, you need these : - A Plan - Big Budget (to pay for the servers and advertising) - Get a reseller account to start with, then when your company gets bigger and you start running out of space you must get your own servers - Advertising
Here is how Web Hosting works:
- You purchase a Hosting in a Web Hosting Company. This means you buy space on their servers.
- You will be provided with an access to the Control Panel where you can manage email accounts, create databases, etc…
- You will be provided with the FTP details (Host, username and password)
- Then you need to upload the files of your site to the Hosting
- If this is a Wordpress, Joomla or other platform-based website you will need to create a database in order to be able to install the site
- Your domain (www.yourwebsitename.com) should be associated with your Hosting. This is something that you can do with your Hosting Support.
This is how hosting works… or at least these are the very basic stuff that you need to know
Been with awardspace.net for 6 years now. The basic plan is $60 and it is more than enough for small websites. Interface is so easy and straight forward!
Uptime is near 99% and I can’t be happier.
ps I run multiple accounts for multiple clients. Not a single issue.
Also I can’t rate support because I never used them or needed them
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.