• Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
GrizzleFX says

Today my $300 monitor broke, after the warranty conveniently expired a few weeks ago….

I really don’t want to buy a new monitor, I would much rather fix it, since I have nothing to lose anyway.

I’ve diagnosed the problem as a back-light malfunction, when I shined a flashlight on the monitor when it was turned on I could see what was supposed to be displayed. But I have no idea what to do now.

So does anyone have any useful hardware experience they would like to share? I have little experience with hardware, especially lcds. It would be greatly appreciated! :)

Specs of the monitor: Brand: Hannspree Model: HF257 25” (LCD)

1799 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
BroOf says

If you can hear sound but there is no image to see, it could be a damaged capacitor. I would open the TV and search for inflated capacitors.

637 posts SickFlyers.com
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+7 more
INDUSTRYKIDZ says

I dont want to give you bad news but its way cheaper to buy a new one then trying to fix it. hit it a couple time alot of thing work after a few hits !lol or find info on youtube! there a few videos on monitors

6765 posts
  • Italy
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says
1716 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
gbs says

Hmm to my knowledge and experience, monitor rarely broke itself, unless there was any serious cause. Whatever it was, I think you should look for an engineer to help you with this, since you still want to use it back. I would not have an attempt on it if not sure what I’m doing :). My 2 cents. Good luck!

102 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Turkey
KurtBilisim says

I’ve diagnosed the problem as a back-light malfunction, when I shined a flashlight on the monitor when it was turned on I could see what was supposed to be displayed. But I have no idea what to do now.

This happened to me a few months ago. At first I thought the monitor was dead, but then just like your case, I noticed that the image was on. I opened the inside of it. There were 2 mini fluorescent bulbs(long white glass) above & below the screen glass. One of them had one end slightly burned and the cable was broken. I couldn’t find replacement bulbs around and I didn’t want to order from the net because I couldn’t trust and also I assume they come in many different sizes. I didn’t know if I could order a fitting one.

So I decided to handle on my own. I had no proper soldering experience and no solder so I simply took another piece of cable and attached to the broken cable. Then I made the other end connect to the bulb’s burnt end. It still had shiny parts for conductivity. It was a really brute attempt but it worked in the end. Months passed and I still use the monitor.

Now what I can suggest;

I can dismantle usual electronics so if you are comfortable at that, you can try dismantling the monitor. Be really gentle and patient. Those things have various cables around, you shouldn’t do hasty movements or you’ll break them. I gotta tell it wasn’t as complicated as I imagined. Try to reach those fluorescent bulbs and maybe it’s a similar case and you can manage on your own. If cables seem intact it’s probably the light bulbs that are broken, no way for you to fix then. See if you can find replacements around shops. It won’t be hard to replace with new ones if you got that far.

If you are not comfortable, simply don’t touch it :D There’s image so it’s something to do with your bulbs. Either their cables are broken or the bulbs themselves. Ask any engineer around.

700 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
GrizzleFX says

@Kurt

Thanks a lot man, this was exactly what I was looking for. I have fixed a few ps3’s in my day so I’ll give taking this thing apart a shot. Also if you don’t mind I might ask you some more questions.

102 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Turkey
KurtBilisim says

Good lucks with it. Sure you can ask more but I am no engineer :)

5 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
chamath says

it’ll be easier if you can give it to someone who can repair monitors

700 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
GrizzleFX says

Here’s what happened guys:

I took the thing apart and found no wire issues. So I went online and looked up common causes of monitor malfunction. Apparently what causes 75% of monitor malfunctions are faulty capacitors. So I replaced some funny looking capacitors but it didn’t change anything, although I was happy that I was able to solder things correctly haha.

Anyways I went out and bought a new monitor today, I’m hoping to sell the old one on Ebay or something for parts.

by
by
by
by
by
by