• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

So after many months after ditching my 17” Nec LCD monitor to work on a 32” Samsung LCD HDTV , I have finally decided that I’m going to get a new monitor because the 1360×768 resolution just isn’t cutting it.

I have looked into this for quite some time, but still can’t decide when what I would like to get. My budget is about $200-$300, I am interested in a Samsung (I have 2 Samsung LCD HDTV ’s and I am extremely satisfied with both, so I know I’ll be getting a good product), and I would like a 24” display.

First of all, I was wondering what you monitors you guys were using (no Mac users, I don’t want to know about your Cinema Displays :P) and what sizes.

Second of all, I was wondering whether anyone has looked into buying a new display recently and knows of any good ones? I am asking you guys instead of some random tech forum because as a fellow designer, I need to focus more on the designer’s aspect of it.

This is kinda random, but I would appreciate your help. :)

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Apple Cinema Display – hahaha

Sorry couldn’t resist.

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
Apple Cinema Display – hahaha Sorry couldn’t resist.

Is it compatible with a PC? :)

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

not sure – I upgraded to mac about 8 years ago – OUCH ! burn….

just joking

On a more serious note I have always been told that the viewsonics and even Dells are quite nice – would like to know what you get and your thoughts on it as I am looking for a second monitor (24 inch also)

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Phoenix,

Monitors are tough. My girlfriend got me a 28” Hanns-G 2 years ago, and its mainly for size. Colors, brightness, clarity, are not very accurate. Some banding seen on gradients and such. But a few months ago I purchased the 27” Dell Ultra-sharp which is supposed to be their top of the line model, and it was HORRIBLE …My Hanns-G blew it out of the water. I literally dropped it off at UPS to send back 1.5 hours after receiving it.

If your looking for a big monitor, expect the quality to be low unless you are gonna shell out some cash. The Cinema Displays are leaps and bounds ahead of the game in terms of quality, but they are also extremely expensive. And yes, the cinemas work on PC’s. But only the 20 inch and the 30 inch. The 24 that just came out only works with Mini Display Port which is Apple only.

The 20 inch and 30 inch cinemas that are fully aluminum, still use DVI which work on PC’s. I am waiting for them to announce they are upgrading the whole line, and moving the 20 & 30 inch to mimic the design of the 24”, when that happens Apple will drop the price on the 30” significantly and thats when I’m gonna pick one up.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
not sure – I upgraded to mac about 8 years ago – OUCH ! burn….

just joking

On a more serious note I have always been told that the viewsonics and even Dells are quite nice – would like to know what you get and your thoughts on it as I am looking for a second monitor (24 inch also)

Dell monitors offer a pretty good cost/quality value. topic=monitor_deals”>http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&topic=monitor_deals

I have one installed as a backup monitor that I use when testing for consumer settings, and it honestly is a sweet deal at under $200 in most normal sizes.

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Thanks for the advice guys. There’s so many of them out there, I’m not sure what to go with. I’m more interested in color, contrast, clarity, but my budget isn’t too high either.

Not sure if it’s worth it to invest in a more expensive monitor.

342 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
reidknorr says
Thanks for the advice guys. There’s so many of them out there, I’m not sure what to go with. I’m more interested in color, contrast, clarity, but my budget isn’t too high either.

I hear ya on the “Not sure if it’s worth it to invest in a more expensive monitor.” part… I just ordered a new 15” Macbook Pro yesterday and now I’m looking for a good second monitor as well. I was in the apple store last weekend and could not believe how big their 24” monitor seemed!! It looks so much smaller online. But… it comes with a hefty price tag of $800 which just doesnt seem worth it to me, even though i have that weird apple syndrom where my laptop and monitor both need to have apple logos on them ;). Let me know what you end up doing. I would only like to spend about $200-$300 as well.

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

I hear ya on the “Not sure if it’s worth it to invest in a more expensive monitor.” part… I just ordered a new 15” Macbook Pro yesterday and now I’m looking for a good second monitor as well. I was in the apple store last weekend and could not believe how big their 24” monitor seemed!! It looks so much smaller online. But… it comes with a hefty price tag of $800 which just doesnt seem worth it to me, even though i have that weird apple syndrom where my laptop and monitor both need to have apple logos on them ;). Let me know what you end up doing. I would only like to spend about $200-$300 as well.

I’ll send an e-mail your way once I find some suitable choices. ;)

342 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
reidknorr says

Alright I appreciate it!

by
by