• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • India
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
azyrusmax says

Hi,

I’m a Graphic designer with no skills of coding, I’ve like 7 PSD themes selling here in Themeforest.

But I’m not selling well, a lot people are asking me to make WordPress version of the templates. So I need to contact a developer, and I did, we are working on a partnership of 50 – 50.

Making wordpress version takes mores than 2 months, but in the development process we don’t get any money. So sometimes the developer loose motivation :( (happened with me twice). I know that choosing a good developer might work here. but…

Can I ask my buyers who want to see the Wordpress version of my PSD theme for a payment or donation so that the developer get some money and it’ll help him stay motivated.

I know there’s is risk, what if the developer is unable to publish the content, don’t worry, we will show you 2 or 3 pages of the website that’s been already made.

I’m asking all this cause I want to know if I can do this, I know that it’s against Themeforest policies or they don’t have it mentioned in their policy yet :)

It would be a really good feature for developers who works here in themeforest, so they can pay their monthly bills without worrying.

If themeforest make this kind of features available to authors that would be really helpful.

566 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AlexFjord says

This is a joke right? You want people to pre pay on a promise of delivery? What guarantee (2 or 3 pages makes little difference) especially when just because a page is coded does not mean it will pass submission which is probably even more de motivating for an author- then what? Do people keep “investing” until it passes?

I am not trying to be rude but as you said it breaches just about every policy in TF and goes against the whole system. As you said yourself 2 people dropped out on you – if they are getting investment sure it is a small incentive but at the same time means they get paid if they finish or if they drop out!

66 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • India
azyrusmax says

This is a joke right? You want people to pre pay on a promise of delivery? What guarantee (2 or 3 pages makes little difference) especially when just because a page is coded does not mean it will pass submission which is probably even more de motivating for an author- then what? Do people keep “investing” until it passes?

I am not trying to be rude but as you said it breaches just about every policy in TF and goes against the whole system. As you said yourself 2 people dropped out on you – if they are getting investment sure it is a small incentive but at the same time means they get paid if they finish or if they drop out!

Hi,

I’m not saying it to be unofficial, that’s why I’ve posted about it in site feedback. What if themeforest starts a new service where authors can submit non completed versions of their files like Alpha version. Just like what Steam offers. Where buyers can see the progress and give payments according to the process. When the file is ready they get it for free (actually they have paid for it for earlier).

From my point of view this actually helps a lot. Sometimes buyers just keep waiting for a long time without actually knowing the date of theme to be published. So what if buyer sees the file work in progress file and if they are interested they can make a payment. Which will support the developer.

But the developer must submit a date when the theme comes out, by doing this way he’ll also get the feedback of not only the reviewers also the buyers, who can see and report bugs.

I hope that you understand what I’m trying to say. Thanks

149 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
davidossahdez says

Well, if this sentence can’t give them enough motivation, nothing can.
“Envato’s top authors make between $20,000 and $50,000 per month selling stock! Imagine creating what you want, when you want, from the comfort of your own home, making passive income whether you’re working or not. Some of our authors sell stock in their free time as a hobby, some do it to get their name out there, and some are able to make it their full time profession”

In the hypothetical case that the “Invest on this project” button exists, I guess that a maximum of 3 or 4 buyers would tip a project. If you make the math, that will be 120 dollars approx. That money is not enough to pay a full time developer for two months. Not to mention the drawbacks of your idea on paying a project in advance :(

332 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
dekciw says

If PSD -> WP takes you more than month to complete – you’re doing it wrong.

481 posts
  • Slovakia
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
LubosVolovar says

First WP theme can easily take more than 1 month (mine, under different account, took month and a half and it was even HTML to WP). And even if you have a few WP themes completed, it can take months for more advanced ones.
3426 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Thank you! :)

448 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
pixeful says

“Envato’s top authors make between $20,000 and $50,000 per month selling stock! Imagine creating what you want, when you want, from the comfort of your own home, making passive income whether you’re working or not. Some of our authors sell stock in their free time as a hobby, some do it to get their name out there, and some are able to make it their full time profession”

Imagine a WP template with a 40$ price and you are noob here. So you got 50%... You saw That Top Authors make between 20-50k…

It’s like ~$28 500 * 0.7 = ~ $20k income. 28,5k / 40 = ~712 sales!!! Is that possible per month? For this minimum not even $50k

And I’m not sayin about PSD templates, Landing Pages and Site Templates witch is crap comparing to WP.

3667 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

In fairness those that earn 10-20k and up are established authors that do get a higher % and their income is over multiple items. That said they had to start somewhere and also invest their time and effort just like anyone else.

There are files that sell a few hundred copies in their first couple of weeks from established and newer authors. The concept suggested here simply would not work. It will likely upset existing authors. Very few people will realistically have faith to put money upfront, making it a tiny amount that makes very little difference. Who would police the system? That would be a huge investment on envato’s time and resources and ultimately they do not own the files so how can they enforce people completing the work. People’s situations change and as AlexFjord said if developers drop out when not being paid then giving them income is anything but incentive to complete if they run into issues- they get paid either way! Unfortunately there are also people who will exploit a system like that.

At the end of the day there is great income and opportunity to be had here but just like anything else in life it does not come on a plate and requires effort and commitment.

149 posts
  • Exclusive Author
davidossahdez says

Imagine a WP template with a 40$ price and you are noob here. So you got 50%... You saw That Top Authors make between 20-50k…

It’s like ~$28 500 * 0.7 = ~ $20k income. 28,5k / 40 = ~712 sales!!! Is that possible per month? For this minimum not even $50k

And I’m not sayin about PSD templates, Landing Pages and Site Templates witch is crap comparing to WP.

You missed the fact that the top authors don’t sell only one WP template. Most of them have multiple items, so that number of sales can be easily achieved. Just to put an example. The most popular theme nowadays Avada, got 814 sales the LAST WEEK, not per month.
http://themeforest.net/popular_item/by_category?category=wordpress

If you do the math, he sell his item 3256 sales per month approx. In money, it’s like 145K approx. and I’m pretty sure that the author receives at least 70% of that amount of money. So, to say this in one sentence, ThemeFusion is receiving at least 100K PER MONTH selling only one WP item, a very good one by the way.

“Envato’s top authors make between $20,000 and $50,000…” For me this is only an average. I’m pretty sure that out there is a lot of authors making way more money! The tricky part is to make an item that can seduce the buyers to spend that amount of money on it :)

by
by
by
by
by
by