56 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
AdrianBotea says

Hy to all.

The title kind of says it all.After I submitted a PSD /Wordpress template can I make a tutorial about making it (photoshop tutorial) ? Am I breaking any “rules” ?

2324 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says

No your not breaking any rules(i think) but you cant give this psd away in this tutorial if you are selling the psd here.

56 posts
+2 more
AdrianBotea says
but you cant give this psd away

cool,thanks for reply

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says
No your not breaking any rules(i think) but you cant give this psd away in this tutorial if you are selling the psd here.
From my understanding after contacting TF support a few months ago, you can give it away if you wanted. You own all copyright to the items you post on TF, and if you’re an exclusive author you can still give your products away, you just can’t sell them elsewhere.

What I did in the past (after making sure it was okay and contacting TF support) was I posted a Wordpress theme for sale here, and I was giving the PSD of it away on a Photoshop blog as a little freebie.

That’s not exactly what you’re doing, but when I asked TF about it, they basically just told me it’s mine and I can do whatever I want with it as long as I’m not selling it elsewhere for profit (as I am an exclusive author).

329 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Albania
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Katro says
From my understanding after contacting TF support a few months ago, you can give it away if you wanted. You own all copyright to the items you post on TF, and if you’re an exclusive author you can still give your products away, you just can’t sell them elsewhere.

What I did in the past (after making sure it was okay and contacting TF support) was I posted a Wordpress theme for sale here, and I was giving the PSD of it away on a Photoshop blog as a little freebie.

That’s not exactly what you’re doing, but when I asked TF about it, they basically just told me it’s mine and I can do whatever I want with it as long as I’m not selling it elsewhere for profit (as I am an exclusive author).

But if you are giving it for free somewhere else, why would someone buy it from here?

159 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
peex says

But if you are giving it for free somewhere else, why would someone buy it from here?

+1. If you are selling it here there is no point giving it for free. Especially if it is just the PSD that you are selling.

56 posts
+2 more
AdrianBotea says
If you are selling it here there is no point giving it for free. Especially if it is just the PSD that you are selling.

I am not going to give away the PSD , just a tutorial for my new blog

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

My point was just that AdrianBotea is free to do whatever he wants as long as he’s not selling.

@AdrianBotea But it sounds like you have a good idea. Write a useful, detailed tutorial, and then put something at the bottom like, “Having trouble following? Why not just buy it over at Theme Forest for $12!”

738 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Jar says

You could also just recreate the effect the tutorial is for and use that PSD .

960 posts
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

i dont see why you couldn’t do this, I mean they’ve done tutorials using a PSD on here before. I’m not sure what the rules are for the site templates though, but you could certainly have the psd up for sale first and then submit a tutorial on how you sliced and diced it.

I love those tutorials because everyone on here seems to do the entire design in Photoshop and then slice it up, I do elements in photoshop and then code it up. I’m just wired that way lol.

by
by
by
by
by
by