IndustrialThemes Recent Posts Threads Started
145 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
IndustrialThemes says

I know this has been discussed to death, I know there is tons of verbiage for me to read in the licensing FAQs, and I know it depends on a lot of different factors. I just want to know if anyone can quickly give me a definitive answer to this question:

I snapped a picture of the skyline of NYC. There are no people in the photo, and it is a zoomed out photo of the whole city (with a lot of gaussian blur to boot). My question is, can I provide this photo as an available background in my theme download package to the end user?

Not trying to bypass PhotoDune and be a cheapskate (as I have made plenty of purchases over there for other areas of my theme), I just happen to really like this one photo I took and thought it would look good with my theme.

P.S. If I can provide it, what do I tell the theme reviewer? Do I just say “I took this picture” and that’s enough for copyright purposes? Thanks for any advice!

3231 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

yes you can, just tell them the photo rights are owned by you.

1286 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

There’s a checkbox when we upload items saying ‘this work is entirely my own’ or something similar, I see this as a disclaimer that everything included in the download is allowed for distribution – I’ve included bits of artwork in the past from friends in old HTML files and not had any issues with the reviewers. As Chris said, mentioning that you own the photo should be enough :)

IndustrialThemes
145 posts
+6 more
IndustrialThemes says

Thanks for the reply guys! I guess the only thing I was concerned about was if somehow I wasn’t allowed to provide a photo of a private building or landmark or something like that. Seems like I read something a long time ago about that – like even though the photo is yours it can’t contain certain things. So a shot of several buildings together (i.e. a cityscape) shouldn’t be an issue then?

3231 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Thanks for the reply guys! I guess the only thing I was concerned about was if somehow I wasn’t allowed to provide a photo of a private building or landmark or something like that. Seems like I read something a long time ago about that – like even though the photo is yours it can’t contain certain things. So a shot of several buildings together (i.e. a cityscape) shouldn’t be an issue then?

Yeah I dont think cityscapes should be an issue, I know there are some federal buildings/architecture sites you cant take photos of for commercial use you may want to see if New York as any limitations.

I know for example some cities don’t allow you to take commercial photos in public parks without purchasing a license(or permit) from the city

IndustrialThemes
145 posts
+6 more
IndustrialThemes says

Yeah I dont think cityscapes should be an issue, I know there are some federal buildings/architecture sites you cant take photos of for commercial use you may want to see if New York as any limitations.

I know for example some cities don’t allow you to take commercial photos in public parks without purchasing a license(or permit) from the city

Once again, thanks! You deserve that community superstar badge :)

4377 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+6 more
Dzinc says

Hi IndustrialThemes, as Chris mentioned, you might want to take a quick look at our Knowledgebase article, referring to Property Release Examples:

• Chrysler Building – allowed only in cityscapes including the Chrysler Building, as long as it is not the primary subject of the photo (New York, NY)

• Empire State Building – allowed only in cityscapes including the Empire State Building, as long as it is not the primary subject of the photo (New York, NY)

• Flatiron Building – allowed only in cityscapes including the Flatiron Building, as long as it is not the primary subject of the photo (New York, NY)

• NY Stock Exchange – allowed only in cityscapes including the NY Stock Exchange, as long as it is not the primary subject of the photo (New York, NY)
IndustrialThemes
145 posts
+6 more
IndustrialThemes says

Hi IndustrialThemes, as Chris mentioned, you might want to take a quick look at our Knowledgebase article, referring to Property Release Examples:

• Chrysler Building – allowed only in cityscapes including the Chrysler Building, as long as it is not the primary subject of the photo (New York, NY)

• Empire State Building – allowed only in cityscapes including the Empire State Building, as long as it is not the primary subject of the photo (New York, NY)

• Flatiron Building – allowed only in cityscapes including the Flatiron Building, as long as it is not the primary subject of the photo (New York, NY)

• NY Stock Exchange – allowed only in cityscapes including the NY Stock Exchange, as long as it is not the primary subject of the photo (New York, NY)

Whoa, when did those specific examples get added?! Very handy, thanks for the further clarification, I appreciate it!

by
by
by
by
by
by